1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Unqualified teacher looking for job as a Spanish Teacher

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by IsraMaz, May 30, 2017.

  1. IsraMaz

    IsraMaz New commenter

    Hello my dear colleagues,

    I am posting this in order to get some advice from the experts and experienced teacher in this community. My name is Israel. I am an unqualified teacher from Venezuela. I am qualified in my country but not in the UK. It has been so hard for me to get qualified in this country but well this not why I am here. I am currently working in a secondary school since 2 years ago. I started as MFL Assistant but last year the school gave the opportunity to teach some classes of Spanish Y7 and Y8 and French Y9. So far so good, but last week I got the bad news they are not longer employing me mainly because of the government cuts. So, I am looking for a job. I am looking for any post but I would prefer into teaching rather than TA as I have had enough experience in the classroom. Do you guys think I would be able to get a job as an unqualified teacher or Should I just stop looking for teaching roles and go for the TA roles as well? Please, let me know what you think and you have any advice or suggestion for my situation I am open to them.

    Thank you in advance for your time,


  2. KKaupa

    KKaupa New commenter

    Hi Isra,

    Why are you no longer pursuing getting qualified in the UK, if you don't mind me asking?

  3. wroberts3

    wroberts3 New commenter

    Sounds like School Direct would be the perfect option for you. Is there a reason that wouldn't be possible? You can receive a (small) salary whilst training through School Direct, too. If you are able to live on a TA wage you will probably be able to get by on that, and if you want any chance of fair pay in the future I think you're going to have to qualify one way or another!
  4. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    He's not from Britain or the EU, so not eligible for funding. He'd be considered an international student, and get charged about £15k for tuition fees.
    IsraMaz likes this.
  5. KKaupa

    KKaupa New commenter

    I thought that if he'd lived in Europe for the last 3 years, he would qualify for funding? So if he's taught for 2 years, he just needs to apply for 2018 ITT and get the £25k funding towards everything?

    IsraMaz likes this.
  6. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Your nationality or residency status
    You can apply if all of the following apply:
    • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
    • you normally live in England
    • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

    You can't just have been here for 3 years, you need to have a legal right to live and work here permanently. For settled status you normally have to have lived here for 5 years, then you take the 'Life in the UK' test and an English test.

    Why would our country randomly give money to someone just because they've lived here for 3 years? Even if they have no right to continue living here? That's crazy.
    sabrinakat likes this.
  7. wroberts3

    wroberts3 New commenter

    Ludicrous, isn't it. Some people think that simply fulfilling a valuable public service position on wage which represents an excellent benefit to cost ratio for the state means we should be so extreme in our inclusivity as to provide employment for someone born the other side of an arbitrary geo-political border. What's wrong with the world today?!
  8. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    gets popcorn and sits down to wait....;)
    IsraMaz likes this.
  9. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    We are not talking about employment, we are talking about loaning money to people in the form of course fees and maintenance loans. You think it's 'extreme' to only loan money to people who have a legal right to live and work here? Tell me another country that would give you money to study in the same circumstances. Would a bank give a loan to someone who is not a UK resident? What criteria would you prefer to see for foreign nationals wanting to study in the UK? Even UK nationals must meet the 3 year residency rule.

    What's wrong is people departing our shores with the qualification, but without leaving a forwarding address where student finance can collect their monthly repayments from. This means the rest of us have to make up the deficit.

    Even EU students, who do have a right to study here with finance, have walked off owing up to £100 million. Why increase that figure by arbitrarily giving money to anyone who happens to be in the UK and fancies studying a degree?

    It's also foolish to study a qualification specific to the country you're in, if you don't have a right to remain living and working there. What if you complete the degree, but then are refused a visa extension, and have to return to your home country? How would you repay the aforementioned course fee loan then?
    sabrinakat likes this.
  10. wroberts3

    wroberts3 New commenter



    Yes, quite possibly, though I would advocate a grant, not a loan.

    None where training is preparatory for local public service jobs.

    Hmmm. I had never lived in the UK (except as a student) before I moved here with a government grant to train.

    I'm not sure, that appears a bit off-topic. Aren't we talking about teacher training? In which case the fiscal benefits presumably don't need explaining.

    Quite. So the problem is... ?

    then the visa system has failed us, not the immigrant.

    I think they have money in other countries, too. You can even convert it to sterling. Most exchange rates are quite favourable at the moment.

    They're great questions, by the way, keep them coming...
  11. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    Actually, I agree with @blueskydreaming; grants and bursaries should be made available to UK citizens first, if funded by the UK taxpayer. I had a private US Scholarship matched by a private UK bursary to study here. It's not about being unwelcoming or narrow-minded in not opening bursaries to non-UK citizens but common sense.
    blueskydreaming likes this.
  12. wroberts3

    wroberts3 New commenter

    I understand why people think like that, but for me the overwhelming logic is that it seems a bit silly to turn away trainees in a profession suffering a serious recruitment crisis. I've also seen no evidence that nationality is a linked variable to likelihood to work in the same tax jurisdiction once qualified. Anecdotally, I know a proportionally very large number of UK trainees of British nationality who moved abroad after training, yet none of foreign nationality who did so.
  13. hs9981

    hs9981 Lead commenter

    An Iraqi who left the war zone, who then qualified as a maths teacher in the UK may JUST about be able to handle bottom set year 9, period 5 on a Friday afternoon.

    Others may choose to get out of dodge! I for one will live and work in which ever country offers me the best quality of life (a healthy pay packet is part of that).

    The OP's home country is going through some difficult times at the moment. OP I've seen several Spanish teacher jobs advertised in South Korea over the last month or so, at International schools and universities.

    It is quite late in the day for international schools now, but universities will be hiring (for a September start)....

    Don't limit yourself to the UK, unless for family reasons!

Share This Page