1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unqualified teacher becoming qualified, what should I be being paid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by happyhay, May 21, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I've been working as an unqualified teacher and have just gained QTS (but not yet received official confirmation from the GTCE.) I'm on a permanent contract with my school and have been paid on the unqualified scale as point 2 since last September. I've read the School teachers pay and Conditions document paragraph 37 but I'm a bit confused as to what I should be being paid now and when I go back on September. If I do not receive official confirmation of QTS from the GTCE until the summer do I continue to be paid on my current salary, then once I hear from the GTCE do my school have to pay me a backdated lump sum to make up the difference between my current unqualified salary and that of qualified (Paragraph 37.2 and 3)? Also, what point scale should I be going onto? The way I read paragraph 37.1 is that the school could pay me on M1 as it is more than U2? Will I be eligible to go up a point in September? I'd really appreciate any help on this!

2. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You are not officially qualified until the GTCE accept the recommendation from your ITT provider.
    You only qualify for qualified pay after official QTS.
    Most PGCE students complete at the end of May to mid-June and get QTS in August ready for qualified pay from 1st Sept.
    Are you employed throughout the summer by your school? If so, they may have to pay you on the M scale from the relevant date in August but it will make very little difference to you as it will likely be for just a week or so.
    They only have to pay you on the M point that is just above your Unqualified pay point. M1 is the likely starting point.
    Even if they pay you for part of August on M1, you will not move up to M2 in September as you need to be employed in at least 26 weeks of a school year on a pay point in order to go up the payscale in the next school year.
    Had you stayed unqualified, you'd have gone to U3 on the unqualified scale in September but that is still below M1, so M1 will be your salary I think for the 2011/12 school year. That's £21588 if outside London and the Fringe.

3. You get paid on mainscale at not less than you were getting on the unqualified scale.
    Ttherefore the amount on the next level up from what you were being paid should be your minimum pay.