1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unqualified TA and teacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Lucyj123, Mar 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lucyj123

Lucyj123 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently in an unqualified TA position at a lovely private school. This academic year I have been teaching for approx. 3 hours a week to one class.

I am being paid as an unqualified (this will change in sept) ta, however I'm lead to believe I should be being paid for those teaching hours?

I'm arranging a meeting with the head to discus this, however do I have a leg to stand on with regards to more pay for those 3 hours?

I look forward to your thoughts.

2. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Legally I'm not sure, but the TAs at my school regularly cover lessons instead of getting in supply teachers and they're never paid any more for it.

3. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

I would certainly hope not. If you want more money, you should get qualified. If I was your Head, you would NOT be teaching without a qualification. Oh I forgot, this is the UK.

wanet, Jesmond12 and Scintillant like this.
  4. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

Hey Lucyj123,

You shouldn't be asked to teach if you are not qualified - sorry :-( and particularly regularly! (Not your fault understandably!) One offs ok...just about. You really have picked just about the worst day possible to be asking this question! It really does make a mockery of those of us that have worked hard to earn our qualifications and pay. You might find a bit of backlash from your post I'm afraid.

If you have enjoyed your experience why not consider getting qualified? You guys are so important and if you think you can do it go for it :) Then your pay will reflect your qualification :)

Libby

5. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

Does raise questions like why bother to qualify, why employ qualified staff if one can simply use the TAs, why bother with Trade Unions who work for the mutual benefit of teachers...

libby77 likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Who or what has led you to believe that?

It's a private school so can do pretty much what they like unless they have a school policy that covers this.

7. Mrskeletor

Mrskeletor New commenter

It's a private school, so you don't need to be qualified. However, you should have some experience in your field. Good luck with the meeting.