1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unqualified or qualified...pay???

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kh133, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi I am looking for some advice about my salary.
    I qualified as a teacher last year but have not yet completed my induction period. I have been working as a supply teacher and have been paid MPS1. Now that I have a job I have been told that because I haven't completed my induction year I have to be paid as an unqualified teacher. Is this correct? I thought the NQT rate was MPS1 also. VERY CONFUSED!!! Hope someone can help x

2. Hi I am looking for some advice about my salary.
    I qualified as a teacher last year but have not yet completed my induction period. I have been working as a supply teacher and have been paid MPS1. Now that I have a job I have been told that because I haven't completed my induction year I have to be paid as an unqualified teacher. Is this correct? I thought the NQT rate was MPS1 also. VERY CONFUSED!!! Hope someone can help x

3. Where did they get that from?!

NQTs have not completed their induction period - obviously - and they start on the main pay scale, MPS 1, not the unqualified teacher scale.

Don't accept this. Talk to them again. If they won't listen, talk to your union. If you are not in a union, you need to be anyway in this profession, so join one and ask them for help with this.

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

You are a qualified teacher, you just haven't completed your NQT year. MPS for you.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is possible, if you worked in the maintained sector for at leat 26 weeks last year, that you are acually entitled to M2. Progression up the scale has nothing to do with completing induction.

6. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If paid via the LEA then it could be 26 days, on day to day supply, over 26 weeks. If it's short term contracts then holidays would also be included.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Completely incorrect!
    An NQT on 0.2 (1 day per week) would start on M1 and would be on M5 in year 5, completing Induction at the end of their M5 year, going onto M6 in the following school year and applying for Threshold in their M6 year!
    My sister started as an NQT in a Nursery school on M3.
    I was placed on P5 of the old 9 point teachers' payscale as an NQT because of my relevant experience prior to teaching.
    You are qualified once you pass your ITT course and the Skills tests. Induction does not confer qualified teacher status. You can't start an Induction programme if you don't already have QTS!
    Those who complete Induction during a school year, do not progress up the payscale as pay progression is not linked to Induction.
    Pay Progression for LA employees is based on length of employment in a previous school year. If you are employed by an LA in 26 separate calendar weeks between 1st Sept and 31st Aug (one day per week being enough for a 'week' in pay progression terms) you move up the payscale for any LA paid work in the next school year that they employ you.
    Those on an LA contract can count calendar weeks when on sick leave or on school holidays as they continue to be paid/employed at those times..
    Those employed daily/hourly rate by an LA (mainly supply teachers) count only those calendar weeks when they did some work in a school.

8. Thank you all, I knew it wasn't right! I shall definitely talk to my head about this.