1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unqualified but highly experienced TA/LSA. What is the equivalent to a level 3?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by supplyTA, Jun 3, 2017.

1. supplyTA

supplyTA New commenter

Hi,
    I've been doing supply TA/LSA work for 3 years come this september, I've always been good at what I do so I've been given lots of opportunities to run interventions, support groups or 1:1, SEN as well as all ranges of ability. However I'm not qualified at level 3 in education. I do have an A level in English Literature and have studies to level 3 in another field. Job specs often ask for level 3 or equivalent. Does anyone know what that equivalent is?

I've also applied to do the level 3 as an apprentice, so as to qualify within a year with the experience of working full time in a primary school for a year. It only pays £100 per week so I don't know if it's worth taking the pay cut or just trying to get a contracted role with my experience?? But then if I carry on unqualified for another year, and the temporary role I'm working in finishes at the end of the academic year (as they often do due to funding) I am in the same boat again, applying for jobs without the usual qualification. Am I at a major disadvantage to those with the level 3 LSA training?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

This link may help.

I always take 'or equivalent' to mean any foreign or less common certification.

3. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

Why not go for it as an unqualified teacher? Just ask. Somewhere will bite.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have GCSEs in English and Maths? PLUS an 'A' level?

Plus all those groups you've run. I'd bite your hand off. You HAVE a qualification at L3. You're a lot better qualified than 95% of TAs I ever worked with!

unfoggingblogger likes this.
  5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Many of the TAs I've worked with have degrees. Some have been qualified teachers who just stepped down, or took early retirement. We had one TA who had only GCSEs, she was an ex pupil who I remembered well because she told me to F off when she was in year 9! So; mixed bag really. But mainly very well qualified.

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

BTECs are level 3 quals. Stroll in the park! Well, until they introduce the exam next year.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Problem is they are the 'wrong' qualifications.

I could have had 57 degrees, but if they weren't in a NC subject, I'd have struggled to get on the PGCE.

8. grumpydogwoman

There are quite a lot of people out there who have degrees but are short of either Maths or English as a L2 qual.

I certainly would rather see someone with a "proper" qualification in a subject than a qual from some completely random educational establishment that claimed to be accrediting (I'm making this up) Certificate in Primary Education.

This may be because I remember my own PGCE training with nothing but slight contempt. I learned nothing on the course except there was a chap called Piaget once. Frankly they could have given me a handout one morning, It would have saved a lot of time.

galerider123 likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Don't forget Skinner and Bruner!

10. grumpydogwoman

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Maslow!;)

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Stop swearing :D