1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unproffesional Senior Member of Staff

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 12345anon, Nov 8, 2015.

1. 12345anon

12345anon New commenter

Hi All,

This is my first post. Our school at the current time is in huge transition. This has meant that a senior member of staff has taken over control of the day to day running of the school. They are very unprofessional. There are serious concerns over performance feedback from this member of staff in regards to performance management and observation feedback. People have been in tears after their meetings with this particular member of staff. Among major concerns are; unprofessional comments about members of staff said during PM reviews/feedback, overly negative and critical comments (such as giving too many targets and not commenting on any positive feedback) and swearing during given meetings. Staff are extremely anxious and not sure what to do. People are too afraid to stand up to this person. Unions have been contacted , but they say it needs to be sorted out internally. Staff are worried that this person WILL not listen and make their working lives hell if they dare say something. Everybody from new to experienced staff feel this is the most negative and unprofessional member of staff they have every come across.

Not sure where we go next?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do you have a Union rep on site?

From any of the Unions? If not you need someone to step up then link with the Union. If the rep can demonstrate whole school support then the Union surely must take a role [regional reps do vary however].

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. 12345anon

12345anon New commenter

I think there is such an entrenched climate of fear as witnessed by other members of staff from said person of NQT bullying and scapegoating and singling out of UPS staff that many think they will go out on their own limb without the backing and receive the same treatment. MOST, but not all of the SMT side with this person and the school at the moment is in chaos in terms of leadership and direction. This said person tries to scare and intimidate people to stay on side. Hence nobody wants to step up to roll of union rep at school. Think as you said someone eventually someone will have to step up and make the move...

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Maybe try to record this person being rude/abusive secretly then share evidence with Union - they can't/shouldn't ignore it. Bullying is, after all, bullying...

darklord11 and midnight_angel like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On a personal level I'd suggest looking for other work. This sort of environment self-destructs eventually. I know from my place that my leaving has already triggered one resignation.

On a whole school level the staff need to work together, especially the UPS ones... they've basically got a massive target on them.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

This particular member of staff does sound to be of legendary nastiness and unprofessionalism. You do have my sympathy.

ilovesooty likes this.
  7. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

Ask members of staff to record their experiences.....dates, times, context of comments etc. and consider requesting a meeting with CoG, school improvement officer if you have one or someone from LA and insist on union reps at regional level.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Could this be a 'roll' for you? Have you got what it takes?

lanokia and emerald52 like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This describes the situation in a school I worked in a number of years ago.

It didn't end well ....my advice would be to try and move on

10. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I'd like to say push regional or national level union and get some serious collective action going on.
    But on a personal level, I'd say jump before you're pushed and encourage others who can to do the same as it's unlikely to get better. The bad thing is that students will be affected by good members of staff leaving, but sometimes you've got to look after yourself.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Go to the chair of governors and let them know all the details.

Swearing at staff and intimidation should see him out of the door.

12. whodareswins

whodareswins New commenter

I just left my school because of a person like that.The HT was aware of everything(not just of what was happening to me but other staff as well) but I think it was easier for her to ignore it or to appear to be sympathetic and supporting staff but letting everything go.No, sorry, actually I think she was genuinely aware and sorry but just could not control person for whatever reason. Could not work in a school where a SM could have such control and be so morally corrupt. Oh and I also spoke out in my resignation letter but the C of G didn't even question it...

midnight_angel likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Makes it worse when the HT is that bully.

I endured an awful year with probably oneof the worst and most vicious people to ever to be in charge of a school. The turnover was staff was incredible but eventually he got his comeuppance and he is now dead - I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead but I'm making an exception in his case.

14. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

You and your colleagues have to stick together or you will be picked off one by one.
    Record unprofessional behaviour , using phones ( discreetly ).
    Go public together and with support of union at regional or national level, get attention in the local press. These people are bullies and prey on hard working honest and reliable staff without mercy.

15. 12345anon

12345anon New commenter

Hi All thank you for the advice. I told a person above the level of this person (external) what had happened in confidentiality ( it was also mentioned by other members of staff).I also sent a professional email covering myself against future backlash (this person is known to turn things around and blame others). Things have taken a turn for the worse and basically they paraphrased what had been said in confidentiality in front of everyone in a threatening way. In total backlash I have now been told/threatened that I will be watched. I am also being observed and must get outstanding because I didn't in my last observation. All previous years I have received good/ outstanding consistently. I am close to breaking I have been going to and coming from school in tears and DESPERATELY want out. There is no speaking to this person and if anyone stands up to them this is the backlash. I am counting the days until spring jobs become available. I have been at this school for years and now I don't know how to make it through until April.

16. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

Really sorry to here this, get union rep in and have all this bullying and harassment documented, this is criminal and you file complaint for this especially if anyone has witnessed this.
    Good luck and their demand for outstanding is complete bull, ask them to demonstrate with any class what they perceive as outstanding.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you are feeling depressed/helpless/ill as a result of this bullying, you should seek professional medical help from your GP or similar. Your own health needs to be your first concern, I think.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  18. MARDIWOMAN

MARDIWOMAN New commenter

Poor you. This sounds awful. I agree with Folkfan, and I would go and see your GP, you sound like you need some support and maybe some time to recover - away from the place. Get union support also - go to your regional office if there is no rep at your school. Teacher Support Network (UK: 08000 562 561) can help.

19. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

If a friend, relative or respected colleague came to you and told you that they had been suffering in the way that you have, what advice would you give them? I suspect it would be similar to the advice that you have received above. It makes such good sense. NO ONE should work in fear.

Take the advice, see your GP and get yourself signed off so that you can begin to heal. At present it would be wrong to try and make decisions about yourself and your future. Get in touch with your union at district level at least and get them onside.

There is life after this kind of bullying-I'm a survivor and can fully understand your bewilderment and pain. Been there, done that!!

Take care.

20. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have to say that all too often this happens in schools... the ranks close behind the perpetrator and the person they have bullied/attacked etc is further persecuted. I have to say I would have no time at all for a suggestion to take matters to the governors as they all too often are hand fed by the school leader/leaders.
    I reckon the only way is safety in numbers and to get the other staff to grow a backbone and to join you. Repeated evidence of the unacceptable behaviour becomes much harder to refute and then the offender will get probably a jolly nice golden handshake as they move to some other plum job!

I am so sorry this has happened to you. You either have to decide to fight now (and don't be too worried about fighting "dirty" ) or to give up, do damage limitation and get out. Realise that there seems to be a total lack of professionalism with the person/people you are dealing with. "Honourable" tactics are not going to work. Fight fire with fire or do damage limitation withdrawal.

In your shoes I think I would seek to ensure that any observation done by this person who is the crux of the problem witnessed by another observer so they cannot just shaft you with an "unsatisfactory" observation. Can you get your union to exert pressure that an unbiased observer be used in this situation? Maybe an advisor in your subject//KS area from the authority - as impartial an advisor you can get ?I think as a profession we need to stop lying down and allowing these sorts of people to walk all over us. In the end though it is your decision and you are the one having to do the fighting The competitive person in me screams that they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.