1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unprofessional interview process

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by es1983, May 2, 2012.

1. I was unsuccessful in an interview today and I just needed to share with everyone what I feel was a bit of an unprofessional interview process and wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences?

I arrived 15 minutes early, as told, to set up a lesson ready for observation. However I was still in the reception area 5 minutes after the lesson was due to start, I was then hurried into a room and told the interactive whiteboard 'wasn't really working' and wasn't really offered any alternative. I thought it was best to remain professional and said yes and that I had copies of the slides I could use. Immediately, the class were brought into the room and I hadn't even had time to set up and nobody asked me if I was ready! I had been told I would have 15 minutes to set up. This left me somewhat panicky and the 20 minute lesson didn't go as well as I had planned. To make matters worse, by this point it was now the children's lunchtime and they could see the canteen from the room we were in. They were clearly distracted by this and I could understand why, when they could see everyone except from them having their lunch! The observers were clearly looking through all the application forms whilst I was teaching, which I didn't think was professional.

The other two candidates had taught their lessons in lesson time and I think they were at an unfair advantage. In the feedback I was told that the successful candidate's lesson was better, which I can accept, but they mentioned children being more on task. I really wanted to say that's because they had time to set up, a working IWB and taught in lesson time (I found this out from discussing with the candidates later.) The other candidates' lessons had clearly overrun and I suffered as a result of this. I was told all other aspects of my interview were excellent.

We then had a task to do, preparing a presentation as a group, which was given to us as we ate our lunch. I often work whilst eating my lunch and am used to doing this, but feel that if you are going for a lengthy interview you should be given enough time for a break and to eat something. I then went straight into the interview after this. The other candidates clearly had more time in between tasks than me and just feel the whole process was less pressurised for them.

I have been to other interviews in the past, with timed tasks etc and I do not have an issue with this. My problem is that the other candidates had more time to prepare prior to each task than I did (I had none) and it has all left me feeling like I have just wasted the last ten days applying and preparing and I might as well not have bothered.

Should I have fed this back to the school? And I am wondering what I can do to prevent going through this again. Perhaps luck just wasn't on my side today.

2. I was unsuccessful in an interview today and I just needed to share with everyone what I feel was a bit of an unprofessional interview process and wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences?

I arrived 15 minutes early, as told, to set up a lesson ready for observation. However I was still in the reception area 5 minutes after the lesson was due to start, I was then hurried into a room and told the interactive whiteboard 'wasn't really working' and wasn't really offered any alternative. I thought it was best to remain professional and said yes and that I had copies of the slides I could use. Immediately, the class were brought into the room and I hadn't even had time to set up and nobody asked me if I was ready! I had been told I would have 15 minutes to set up. This left me somewhat panicky and the 20 minute lesson didn't go as well as I had planned. To make matters worse, by this point it was now the children's lunchtime and they could see the canteen from the room we were in. They were clearly distracted by this and I could understand why, when they could see everyone except from them having their lunch! The observers were clearly looking through all the application forms whilst I was teaching, which I didn't think was professional.

The other two candidates had taught their lessons in lesson time and I think they were at an unfair advantage. In the feedback I was told that the successful candidate's lesson was better, which I can accept, but they mentioned children being more on task. I really wanted to say that's because they had time to set up, a working IWB and taught in lesson time (I found this out from discussing with the candidates later.) The other candidates' lessons had clearly overrun and I suffered as a result of this. I was told all other aspects of my interview were excellent.

We then had a task to do, preparing a presentation as a group, which was given to us as we ate our lunch. I often work whilst eating my lunch and am used to doing this, but feel that if you are going for a lengthy interview you should be given enough time for a break and to eat something. I then went straight into the interview after this. The other candidates clearly had more time in between tasks than me and just feel the whole process was less pressurised for them.

I have been to other interviews in the past, with timed tasks etc and I do not have an issue with this. My problem is that the other candidates had more time to prepare prior to each task than I did (I had none) and it has all left me feeling like I have just wasted the last ten days applying and preparing and I might as well not have bothered.

Should I have fed this back to the school? And I am wondering what I can do to prevent going through this again. Perhaps luck just wasn't on my side today.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Clock it down to experience.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It's a horrible thing to happen. I've never had anything as bad as that - the children being distracted by everyone else having their lunch isn't on, that's obviously going to be distracting for them (I hope they got a chance for a break - poor children and poor you!)
    There isn't a huge amount you can do but for what it's worth I try never to rely entirely on technology - if your lesson features a powerpoint try to have it so that you can teach without it, if you see what I mean. I always take my own equipment like mini whiteboards, pens and so on to the interviews with me which means I resemble a pack horse when I walk in, but it's so much better than the awful sense of panic when the things you've asked for don't materialise. I asked for mini whiteboards for an interview once and my lesson did need them. I rang up and they were duly promised. They then didn't emerge, which meant that someone was running around looking for them and then barged in halfway through my lesson and then half the pens didn't work [​IMG] It was horrible!
    That was an interview where some candidates were sent away after the lesson and others taken on to the formal interview and if it's any consolation, that is the only time I've ever had that happen to me which does suggest it is the school's disorganisation, not my teaching!
    When you get your job though (and you WILL!) you'll be SO GLAD it happened because you wouldn't want to work there! Trust me! x

5. I had a similar experience with the lesson a few years ago. They asked us to turn up at 8:15am, and I was there at 8am. They then left us there in reception without even saying hello until 8:50am when they turned up and told me I would be teaching period one which started at 9am, they then took us to the staff room and left us again. They came to take me to the class at 9:05am, I was greeted with 25, bored, annoyed year 11 students as they'd been waiting for me for those 5 minutes. After my lesson they told me they felt the lesson was "inadequate", personally, I would say the same about their basic manners and their organisational skills.

I took great comfort in the fact that I would be terribly unhappy working with people who could not organise a... well, you know... Anyway, Hopefully that will make you feel slightly better. And I think everyone needs one unprofessional interview story so that you can compare every other interview to it and say, "well, it could be worse, I once had an interview where..." [​IMG]

6. I share your pain! I don't understand how people can be so insensitive at an interview. It's stressful enough! I was once the last of 6 candidates to teach a 30 minute lesson on fractions to a year 4 class. You can imagine their enthusiasm for the subject when candidate number 6 walked in! I think the school thought they were being fair by giving us all the same group of children.
    I also once had a lesson observation at 9.30 in the morning and was asked to wait in a room for an interview which was meant to be at 3.15 but started at 5. I had nothing but a plate of sandwiches for company! No one came to see if I was ok or to give me a tour or anything. The only people who seemed concerned were the year 6 children who kept walking past the door wondering and who I was and who I had to ask to point me in the direction of a toilet.
    You just have to politely thank them for the shambolic interview process and then have a moan on here!

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

This sounds like a horrible interview and you're probably better not at that school!
    But taking a day out to go through that is not nice. Hopefully your next interview will be better!