1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unprofessional conduct... Asked to lie in an Ofsted inspection.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cleproy, Sep 21, 2011.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Don't the kids mention they've never seen Miss Smith before and where's Mr Jones?

Dragonlady30 and pepper5 like this.
  2. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

"This is a notoriously tough school, Miss Princesslegend. What support are SLT giving you?"

"None. I don't even have a classroom. I cart my **** all over the place, including up four flights of stairs on a daily basis in a carry case I had to buy myself. I buy my own class sets of glue, scissors and paper. I bought my own board markers. I'm refquently called a c**t and tolf to F off. SLT watch it happen. Support is non-existent."

3 days later - "Why did you lie to Ofsted?!?!?!?"

*hands over receipts*

After a long, arduous battle, I got all my money back. Moved schools - ran into the same inspector. Criticised the very things he'd praised at the bad school. You can't win. They don't even know what they want.

Shedman, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  3. runawayjackson

runawayjackson New commenter

The one I .in right now, where our new MAT overlords have decided I'm too expensive and outspoken. They have made my life miserable.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. iyetd

iyetd New commenter

During my NQT we only had the reduced timetable with no support (no access to a mentor, no support meetings etc). We were expected to work like a typical teacher.

If you couldn't cope, instead of supporting you they would take away classes and try to push you out.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

I joined a new school as a permanent teacher several weeks after the beginning of term. I knew none of the children personally and didn't know their names nor their work. I was handed a folder of statistics and was instructed to be at a parents' evening soon after being employed at the school. A succession of parents came to see me every five minutes or so during the evening to be briefed and updated about their children's progress and behaviour.
    I don't know how I got through it.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. baitranger

Teachers should be rewarded for maintaining standards-and that means ensuring that students who have not reached the required standards should FAIL. That doesn't happen. The students' failure has become the teachers' failure instead. That is only one of the important things that are wrong in our schools and colleges-and universities.In our universities we now have a plethora of firsts , so now someone with a first is nothing really out of the ordinary. What's next, a first with a gold star and glitter?

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've done parents' evenings three weeks into a contract on two occasions; fortunately I saw the kids three times a week, which just about gave me time to get names learned, and in both cases there had been a recent test. Parents understood that I had limited knowledge of their kids, but were able to ask their questions about the subject and what they could do to support their children.

It can be tough, though - we went to a parents' evening for my daughter where my husband was concerned that one teacher didn't seem certain of our daughter's name (she was with us). I pointed out that he was on long-term supply, taught them once a week, would have getting on for 600 pupils on his timetable (one-lesson-a-week subject), and so I was happy enough that he knew the subject and knew that our daughter was an able pupil. Never mind if he hadn't quite sorted out which of the bright well-behaved ones was which!

agathamorse and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. baitranger

I'd been there for only a few days.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Betterreadthandead

Betterreadthandead New commenter

"Love"!

Don't expect this kind of sexist language from colleagues in teaching.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Oh dear ...

11. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

Depending on the context, it could be overly informal, or even condescending, but sexist? Don't be ridiculous.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. AdamVero

AdamVero New commenter

Agreed. Shortly after moving to Leeds I was surprised by a male colleague who said "Thanks, love" after I sorted out the IT problem he had. There was definitely no hidden meaning or agenda, and certainly better than the "mate" that others might choose to use if they can't be bothered to remember one's name.
    I soon found out that gender had nothing to do with whether this term was used by males or females in speaking to other males or females, and was relatively common (though not ubiquitous) in Yorkshire, especially amongst pre-millennials.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Be thankful you're not in the Black Country. People there refer to each other as "****". It's not an insult it's an endearment

agathamorse likes this.
  14. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

oh dear it's been deleted. It was a male hen.

agathamorse and blazer like this.
  15. AdamVero

AdamVero New commenter

You're right, I grew up there and it was certainly still used in my day.
    Interesting how birds are used so much - "hen" in Scotland, <male hen> in the Black Country and to some extent in Cockney so I suspect elsewhere too, "duck" (or "m'duck") in parts of East Mids.
    <sorry to have somewhat sidetracked the original thread>

agathamorse likes this.
  16. Betterreadthandead

Betterreadthandead New commenter

well it certainly is over condescending and dont call me ridiculous...it was clearly tongue in cheek. Get a sense of proportion.