1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unprofessional conduct... Asked to lie in an Ofsted inspection.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cleproy, Sep 21, 2011.

1. I think this is common practise, especially at International Schools. I was teaching at Aloha College in Puerto Banus Spain. The board, who consisted of rich parents, had decided to bring in a Drama teacher who was a big friend of one of them, as usual elligidly she had no PGCE or B. Ed and so was not a trained teacher. I was given schemes of work, she had written to teach from when the ofsted team came in. I commented that they didn´t reach the criterea layed out for Drama at key stage 3, and so if she wanted me to teach from them I would let the ofsted team know that they were written by her. She was very annoyed when I said this and I was fired that summer!

2. Well said!

3. I work in a school and during an ofstead inspection, was expected to plan a full lesson for 5 classes over the two days, which would prove a practical element without the use of any ovens, sharp knives or anything else that I was not insured to used. Now all I do is support the technology department.
    I got off lucky as the day before the inspection I woke up feeling really rough, so phone in sick, turn out that I had swine flu, so was out for a week and missed all the stress and struggle that went with it. They managed pass not sure how as the whole of the technology department was out, the food teacher was in hospital her appendixs and the textiles techers was out with a long term illness.
    It was rhater interesting to be told to each without a teaching qquilifcation to my name.

4. Should you be naming and shaming?
    Drama doesn't really have any 'official' criteria for KS3 except for the general guidelines as it does not figure in the NC, hence the freedom that Drama teachers have. There are obviously notional guidelines devised by skilled practioners but it can be how you want it to be. The only real requirements are those in the English NC. There is thus huge scope and flexibility so you were being rather inflexible!
    The fact that she was not a 'trained' teacher may well be irrelevant; she may have had many other skills or experiences. You admit it was only 'alleged' that she did not. There were no 'criteria' as you suggest that there are and perhaps you might reflect upon this. Had you done a quick Google, you would have discovered this. It rather puts doubt upon your suggestion that this is common practice.

5. That is shocking!
    While teacher training I came across a few unprofessional situations from the people who were supposed to be training me!
    In my first placement school I was treated as a substitute teacher, as they were a new academy and had lost a lot of staff.
    My second school rejected me after the first day because I refused to be used as a substitute teacher while another member of staff was on maternity!
    My second school - that took me after I was rejected - were fine until Ofsted came in. Then they panicked and two teachers asked me to mark ALL of their classes workbooks, which came to about 60-70 books in the space of a day and night. They then had the cheek to fail me claiming they had not seen any evidence of my marking!

My third - and final - school was in Scotland and the best school I had been in. Totally professional and very supportive.

elfinamerica likes this.
  6. Teaching is supposed to be an honourable profession, but a very small number of heads are treacherous beyond belief. They are immune to any sort of action and, so long as they follow the "no evidence; no witnesses" rule, they will continue to escape any sort of redress. What these heads do is scandalous. If you are fortunate enough to work for an honourable head then you should be fully appreciative of that.
    Yes, I have been butchered by a sly, lying, duplicious head. Justice is not for the working teacher. We have to live with that.

7. I really feel for you! I haven't done my NQT year yet, as I finished my training while expecting my daughter. She was born Sep 2010 and now she's a year old i'm working part time at the local college. Just 2 classes a week. They're really supportive and friendly, but it won't count towards my NQT, although it will keep me 'in the game'.
    My teacher training was a joke though (aside from points already mentioned in the school [see later post]). The woman training us had recently been 'let go' with the amalgamation of the new academy so refused to observe me teach there. The Head and my mentor said I was good with outstanding features. The woman left to be replaced by 'the Witch' who insisted on having my PD2 posted to her and then lost it.
    The next school I was in failed me and she supported it - I had no evidence from PD2 to argue with - even though I hit every target they gave me. They claimed I was late every day (the head of department had told me I didn't need to be at the morning briefing so i arrived and went straight to the classroom) and she claimed she had not seen any of my marking (despite my marking ALL of her classes books plus those of another teacher whose class I taught! and all of the coursework for her year 9 class)
    The Witch then failed to find me a suitable placement for the following term and I had to wait an additional term to get a placement, which ended up being out of the county in Scotland and last minute (i'm from Wales, but trained in Northern England).
    The final joke was being asked to bring in my Standards file etc on my way through to Wales and she wasn't there. She hadn't called me to let me know she wasn't going to turn up. I found out when I arrived (after driving out of my way) ... i had a bit of a meltdown in the summer between my second and third placement after everything I had been through. What got me through it in the end was my pregnancy. I told myself I had to do it for my baby.

8. I really can't believe that happened, seriously that is just disgusting telling a teacher to lie. We are meant to be good role models to the students in our school and we're lying. Not good

I am proud about the fact that you told the truth and that you did the right thing.

9. Hi I am ashamed to say this sort of thing went on all over my place of work in FE.
    The whole place was corrupt I tried several times to speak out but no one was listening. It is when people you help stab you in the back to keep their job (whilst they keep quiet) saying they didn't know things were going onthat gets me. Money is way above learner or staff safety when your tucked away on another part of campus. I left after being pushed as far as I could be. I only hope the head doesn't do the same at her new Place.

10. Not in my school. Got "outstanding" in July, now all chilled and having a nice time...for the next FIVE years...well probably three..but still nice.

11. And I bet all the other staff have hated you ever since...because you just happened to have swine flu that week.

12. Well done. I was asked to lie to our staff team by a previous head and a governor. After half a term as deputy ( and appointed by the previous head) I realised that it wasn't going to work out with the inexperienced but arrogant new head. When I handed my notice in she asked if I could say that the reason for my leaving was due to an unexpected house move further away. I was moving, but only 10 minutes away! It was very uncomfortable at the staff meeting as everyone fired their questions about my exciting move, I didn't embellish the lie but wished that I had not allowed it to happen. I think that I was so surprised by their thought to lie I didn't know what to say. I confided the truth in one close colleague and after I left got a letter saying that the head would not be able to give me a reference due to the short time we worked together ( even though I had done a lot) and that there had been an aspect of my conduct that had come to light and been unprofessional. She had said at our exit interview that I would make an excellent head, that she would support me in applying for headships and that had she been more experienced she would have been able to use my leadership skills better! I can only think that the reason for her turnaround must have been that I told the 1 person the truth about leaving as my record has always been unblemished and usually very well thought of. This aspect wasn't persued by the school so I'm guessing was just another sign of the head's embarrassment. Fortunately I have enough positive experiences for this one not to bother my record too much, telling the true story to better employers out there has been the best strategy.

13. I agree. A friend of mine' whistle blew', initially annonomously, but then revealed herself to the County Council investigator. It wasn't long before she was 'given' a redundancy package and yet the Head teacher continues to wreck the school!!!
    Not worth it - sadly, (perhaps not all but) Heads have far too much power with unproportional (little) real accountability which is in my view, a contributing factor in seeing 'educating the child' slide further and further down the scale to join, but sit just above, 'honesty' in order that ticking as many boxes as possible is the main priority.
    I too got 'targeted' - not because of my teaching, but as a Staff Governor which, being fearful of me taking them to a tribunal, my County Council employer (in support of the head teacher) gave me a redundnacy package with enhanced early retirement (as well as making me so ill that I had to accept the offer just to end the situation) - oh and sign the obligatory 'Compromise Agreement', which the head teacher has now broken twice and nothing has been done about it!
    However, once you are out of it, you realise what it is like to actually have a real life!!!
    Teachers are no longer valued by 'our superiors': I wonder who educated them to enable them to reach their status!!!
    Well done to the AST for being honest and standing his ground. Sadly, the way of the world now is that if you are honest, then you are going to get a battering.

14. mercer77

mercer77 New commenter

In my NQT I really struggled with behaviour. I did tell my Head of Dept (and mentor) who in hindsight did basically nothing to help. When Ofsted turned up he sat in with my nightmare year 7s, who of course were good as gold with him in the room. I still remember the Ofsted inspector asking if the HOD often sat in on my lessons, and of course I lied. Along with the two weeks of panic and endless work leading up to the inspection, it was the final straw - I left teaching at the end of my NQT year feeling like a failure.

15. The potentially failing school I was seconded to for Ofsted from a beacon school promised me the worst behaved pupil in my class would have done something to be excluded he didn't and wasn't but the child of one of the governors who was ADHD with severe medical probs was deliberately kept at home that week. The head also paid an ex head out of her own pocket to help in the area she wanted to succeed most. Back in the beacon school my head should have made observations for performance management, in order to cover her back she asked 3 of us to my knowledge to write our own observations of lessons she had seen as she was taking parents round the school. The one teacher who saw no wrong in this is senior management. I said I would feel compromised and diplomatically signed what she had "remembered observing" of excellent behaviour management. Relatively minor in comparison of some but it showsthe futility of Ofsted. Teachers and their administrators should be monitored but with realistic measures and less hype.

16. This is scary stuff!! I am an Australian teacher working in the South Australian education system. It worries me, in light of all the things I read in this forum, that our system is wanting to follow yours. Please don't take the ****! Respect yourselves as professionals.

17. What a nightmare. If you had schemed and lied in that manner, you would have been shown the door. . The school that sent you into that situation are as culpable, placing you in an impossible situation and expecting you lie. I hope you are considering pursuing a case of constructive dismissal. Speak to your union.

18. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

IT is not astounding at all. HEck this is not new practice.
    A school local to here, was highly praised by OFSTED for the Art work on display, so they laminated it and ut it up each ofsted as though it is new. They also lend it out to neighbour schools at OFSTED times.
    I have been handed new stuff on the morning of OFSTED and told to crumple it a bit and make it look used to fool OFSTED.
    The problem is that until OFSTED see through these ploys and discipline for them school managements will continue to do them.
    You were right to speak truthfully .

19. I believe I would have done the same. It is probably true that those who should be called to account will go unscathed.

20. When one of my children was at primary they reported that the lesson observed had been rehearsed and all of the pupils were told to put their hands up- the teacher obviously then only chosing the ones that she already knew would know the answer! Petty in comparison to some hideous situations I have read here ,but still bad practice.

I wonder if Ofsted could prove they are actually valid in their assessments of schools- I mean can they really show they are inspecting how the school really is?