1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unpopular, moi?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Sep 6, 2010.

1. I think it depends very much on the climate you work in - I worked in a company years ago where NO comments were tolerated and you were on the black list if you dared to question anything.
    Other companies have been different.
    I think it is the same with schools - and always has a lot to do with the management you have.
    Having said that, I am more like Lily. Always opening my trap with relevant questions and wondering at the strange non-answers I get. I really should have learnt by my age that not all people think logically and rationally but prefer to talk in "big ideas" and "visions" and leave the details up to stupid folk like me.

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I think I've learnt the hard way that quality management in school is a very rare thing, there have been schools where relevant questions were appreciated but sadly not enough.
    Lily, open a free school and I'll happily work for you ;)

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

A previous Head told me she thought I tended to be a bit negative about new initiatives and felt I was 'blocking progress'. Other teachers were much more accepting of the several and burdensome demands. Actually they moaned like hell when she wasn't listening and then dissolved into obsequious compliance in meetings.
    When the paperwork mountain became impossibly unscalable I left the eager bunnies to their fate with not a qualm.
    Head was good enough to tell me another time that she had to admit that often she came to appreciate my point later, and that I needed to get better at how I put my views across. Not a question of listening to me properly in the first place then? [​IMG]

4. Oh God no. Reservations, caveats, recollections of the last time this identical idea was tried under a different name, gentle enquiries concering practical issues and minutiae - NEGATIVITY! NOT A TEAM PLAYER! NOT SHARING THE VISION!
    One ex-HT used to call me The Persistent Drizzle although I admit I used to do it just to irritate him since I was leaving anyway.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

That was it- 'not sharing the vision'!

6. Did it make you want to stand on a chair and scream "**** OFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!"?
    Or is that just me? [​IMG]

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Squealing in horror and amusement when a member of SMT started talking about 'The Essential Learning Journey'.........AAAAAIIIEEEEEEEEE !!

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I've had the "not a team player" thrown at me on many occasions, usually after I've asked how the latest weeze will impact on the children's learning (or whatever, because isn't that what we're in school for?? to teach the children or did I miss something?) sorry that isn't directed at anyone on here, it is the memory of stupid bloody initiatives and the stupid bloody SMT who fall for it hook, line and sinker without a useful thought in their heads...grrrr...

I'm sure I would have had "not sharing the vision" too if I'd stayed any longer.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I got all defensive and disheartened [​IMG]
    After all, I did work bluddy hard and put lots of energy into the useful projects and occasional intelligent initiatives.

The chair strategy would have been cool.....

10. The "vision" thing is the one that bugs me. Big Boy/Girl has a vision. This Huge Idea.
    No bleddy idea of how to implement it or IF it can be implemented. The rest of us need to work out the details - of course, when you point out the fly in the ointment, the s.hit hits the fan and you are inflexible/lazy/difficult/a commie/a revolutionary/a union rep/too old/too young/too experienced/not experienced enough.
    Rather than just practical and knowing your job.

11. :D That EXACTLY describes what happens at my school.

Ridiculous demands, they all nod and comply, then moan madly in private.

I am looking for a route out ASAP.

12. Don't bring me A Big Idea unless it's accompanied by a Big List of actual working methods to bring it about. Personnel and workload implications, costings, time scale, assessment criteria, protocols. Proper planning!
    Obama got on my wick for exactly the same reason. Change. Change what? How? With what?

13. Unfortunately speaking up in open staff meetings, while being satisfying, is probably the least effective way to challenge something. If the challenged SMT person is quick-witted and convinced of the value of an initiative, then there's no problem as they'll have a reply, but nothing changes.
    If they're stupid, they'll resent it being pointed out and nothing will change.
    If they're not stupid but are being forced to introduce something pointless by the local authority, Ofsted etc., then they'll be even more annoyed that they've got it coming at them from both sides and nothing can change as it's an assault on two lots of authority.
    Play the long game. If an initiative failed in 1980, 1990 and 2000, it will also fail in 2010.

14. And when it fails it will be my fault for not supporting it.

15. But I am also quick-witted and have my answers.
    I am not going to sit around for years on end "implementing" an impossible vision.
    Of course, when I speak up, I can back it up. In writing, with figures, with plans, with pros and cons and with a cost analysis.
    Because I know what I am doing. I know that what my current CEO is suggesting (two p/t jobs to be merged into one p/t) is not going to work, because I know exactly how many hours the job, at the very basic level, demands.
    And THAT has been passed on to all other managers - from my CEO.
    So, yes - you can stick up for your department and yourself and make a valid point. And yes, the CEO will probably turn around and say it was his idea in the first place - but hey, I can live with that.

16. I was given a wrist slapping by the head and deputy head for speaking negatively about things in the staffroom. Apparently the staffroom is not the place to express your opinion. They said that I was resistant. I said that I wasn't resistant as I had implemented all the changes etc but that I was frustrated and angry with the way things were. It did give me the opportunity to tell them a few home truths about the way they were managing things. May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!

17. The word Big has just reminded me of Big Writing. Is it still on the go? Light candles,play Mozart and everybody writes fantastic stuff. I don't know if they use big felt pens or form huge letters or what.....but it's BIG.

18. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

I would never ask questions in an INSET, it will last longer.

19. and then there's 'mission statement' [​IMG]

20. Rantfrothsplutter........
    We had "The Big Picture" on our lesson plan template. You know, where "Title" or "Module" used to go.