1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unpleasantness

Discussion in 'English' started by jarndyce, Sep 3, 2020.

1. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I follow one of the exam board subject advisors on Twitter.

It's amazing how many so-called professionals, including Heads of English, are just downright rude when asking about exam arrangements for 2021. I appreciate it is frustrating, and it is causing me a fair amount of stress when planning my own department's GCSE provision - but I would never dream of using the kind of tone and language I have seen, especially in a public forum under my real name.

What a deeply unpleasant lot some of us are.

Mrsmumbles and blueskydreaming like this.
  2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Are 'we' (I no longer teach high school English btw) really unpleasant, or just angry, frustrated and scared? Despite putting our lives on the line to teach keyworkers' children at the height of the first wave, with no PPE, the public accuses us of being lazy.Despite all the work 'we' did, there's been chaos and misery for the children we cared about. 'We're' about to be forced back into schools with no distancing, while most office workers I know have been told they'll only have a handful of people in blocks that used to have a hundred people in them-if they even have to go in at all. All vulnerable people in non-teaching jobs (that I know) have been offered changes to their roles if they'd come too close to people.

It's true that people shouldn't be rude. But scared, angry and miserable might be closer to the mark than unpleasant.

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Ooh I don’t know...I’ve encountered my fair share of insolent tools in teaching. Some HODs should never be allowed anywhere near children, yet are responsible for hundreds, and the careers of other adults. Terrifying.