1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unpaid trials

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nikkisab, Nov 7, 2011.

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/nov/04/job-scheme-internships-your-stories?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

I saw this on the Guardian about unpaid internships. The Guardian is starting an investigation into how widespread the practice is of hiring people to do "work experience" when they area really doing work requiring remuneration i.e. slave labour and are asking people to get in touch with their experiences. Although the form to send them refers to jobcentre and government agencies I wonder if it is worth us supply teachers using this to highlight the growing agency use of trial days etc. that I've seen mentioned on here. After all, we are public sector workers (for now!) so it could still tie in to what they are looking for. Although this has not as yet happened to me I have seen enough on the forums to know that a few people on here have already fallen foul of this, and the Guardian could put the word out if enough of us get in contact about the sorry state of affairs.

2. I quite agree that this use of 'trial days' is iniquitous, as it is open to abuse by both schools and agencies. I wonder if the school actually gets the teacher's services for nothing, on the so-called 'trial day', or whether the school just wants a free cover teacher, or the agency can pocket the all the money paid to it by the school. On these fora I have read of agencies sending teachers to schools on 'trial days', so that the school gets to 'try them out', with, perhaps, the possibilty for some supply work.
    It is not only supply days, but even longer periods. If a school has, say, half a term to cover, then half a dozen teachers, each doing a 'trial week' would cover it.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I would refuse to do an unpaid trial day. It is without doubt the most ridiculous idea agencies or schools have come up with yet. On what planet do the people who come up with these ideas live on.
    It strikes me as daft as going into a local pub and saying "I'm thinking of coming here in future but to convince me I demand a trial evening with free drinks and peanuts". Not going to happen is it?
    Some supplies have been forced into accepting lower salaries but the line needs to be drawn here. If everyone when offered an unpaid trial day treated the suggestion as a (unfunny) joke then maybe agencies/school might start taking us seriously.
    Rant over[​IMG]

4. Absolutely agree.

Agency - "Can you do a trial day at Rip off school next week"

Me - "Of course, will I get paid"?

Ageny - "No but there is a chance that this will be a long term placement foir the next year"

Me - "And when will the position start"

Agency - "Well the school are just looking at the moment and would like to see as many teachers as possible before making a decision"

Sounds incredible - yes but true

5. A "trial" day for a qualified, registered and experienced supply teacher is a total and complete piece of exploitative NONSENSE!
    IT is blatant exploitation and anyone who says yes to it is a complete fool.

6. If you've been offered it, regardless of whether you've accepted it, you should get in touch with the Guardian. Hopefully something will come of it