1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unpaid taster days

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nearmiss, Sep 30, 2017.

1. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Please contact me via private message,if this applies to you:
    Have you been asked to work an unpaid day at a school?
    Have you worked a "taster day" for no money?
    If so, how frequently has this happened?
    Can you name any agencies who have asked you to do this,
    Do you have any emails or material that states that you are being asked not to attend an interview, but to work for free?

We are looking at a potential breach of minimum wage regulations and even slavery laws.
    I'm evidence-gathering on behalf of my union.
    If you have first-hand, personal experience of this practice, please get in touch.

Thanks,

NM

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

This wouldn't apply since slavery would involve detaining someone against their will.

I don't think that the minimum wage argument would work either if the agency could claim you were "volunteering" at the time,

The best way to combat this unacceptable practice would be for unions to urge their members not to do trial days and for supply teachers to refuse to do them.

For your research my consultant at Prospero never asked me to do an unpaid taster day and said he never would. So there are some good ones out there.:)

wicked4u2 likes this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Excellent.

Mrs_Hamilton and pepper5 like this.
  4. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

Mine, too. And he's not from your agency.

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I'd be very interested to know what the legal position is on this. I was under the impression that the two pieces of legislation mentioned might have some bearing on requiring people to work for no pay.

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It's worth knowing for sure if this practice is just a very isolated phenomenon or if teachers really are agreeing to be exploited in this way. Unions can't make any recommendations without any factual basis for it. Many people who use these pages are not union members and there is reason to believe that a large number of supply teachers don't join a union. However, if it turns out that any visitors to this page have experience of this level of poor practice, the legal departments of the various unions can establish what the position is.

Mrs_Hamilton and pepper5 like this.
  7. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

Although, like an idiot, I agreed to pay for my own DBS...I've never done a free taster day.
    I once taught a lesson for a long(er) term post, but that is like any interview process in education.

There are some horrible agencies out there aren't there!

wicked4u2 and pepper5 like this.
  8. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

The chap running the office for the branch I work through of my agency would always make sure the teacher is paid.

9. wicked4u2

wicked4u2 Occasional commenter

Aren't you given the amount of money you're entitled to BEFORE you set off to that school? Sent by the agency via text and/or email?

10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

We're talking about unpaid trial days. He doesn't send a teacher out for a days work expecting the teacher to work for free.

11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Work for free. You and the person that would have done the work for pay both loose. The agency and School are laughing.

giphy-2.gif

Anon29118010835814536 likes this.