1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unpaid leave - 3 days cost me 20% gross monthly pay? Advice required

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by wdersley, Jan 28, 2011.

1. My daughter lives 200 miles away and needed care for the PD Day and first day at a new school at the beginning of this term. A family member let me down on New Year's Day so I had to step in and travel to look after her. I arrived back 3 days later. On the 2nd January I emailed my HOD. Dep Head and Head with cover work for the two teaching days, one of which was an extremely light day.
    On my return to school on the Friday I had a letter detailing that as I had not given sufficient notice re my absence that the leave would be classed as Unauthorised and unpaid. Although unhappy about the unauthorised bit I am aware that Carer's leave payment is at the discretion of the employer so I had accept this - all previous carers leave for illness ect had been paid leave.

When I got paid I was shocked at how much money had been deducted. I queried the amount and was told that it was based on 3, 7 hour days at an hourly rate based on a 35 week working year. I therefore was deducted over 500 pounds for 3 days off. This equated to 20% of my gross salary for the month. I am on M6. Is there a formula that dictates how a teachers daily rate is calculated? I can understand the 35 week calculation for the hourly rate if they are paying additional money, but this seems to me to assume we are not paid for all our holiday, so seems unfair that is should be used to calculate whole days pay. If it is correct I shall just have to swallow it but at the moment I am really angry and upset. I am working notice and due to leave at Easter to go and join my daughter but at the moment I don't feel like being here at all!

2. My daughter lives 200 miles away and needed care for the PD Day and first day at a new school at the beginning of this term. A family member let me down on New Year's Day so I had to step in and travel to look after her. I arrived back 3 days later. On the 2nd January I emailed my HOD. Dep Head and Head with cover work for the two teaching days, one of which was an extremely light day.
    On my return to school on the Friday I had a letter detailing that as I had not given sufficient notice re my absence that the leave would be classed as Unauthorised and unpaid. Although unhappy about the unauthorised bit I am aware that Carer's leave payment is at the discretion of the employer so I had accept this - all previous carers leave for illness ect had been paid leave.

When I got paid I was shocked at how much money had been deducted. I queried the amount and was told that it was based on 3, 7 hour days at an hourly rate based on a 35 week working year. I therefore was deducted over 500 pounds for 3 days off. This equated to 20% of my gross salary for the month. I am on M6. Is there a formula that dictates how a teachers daily rate is calculated? I can understand the 35 week calculation for the hourly rate if they are paying additional money, but this seems to me to assume we are not paid for all our holiday, so seems unfair that is should be used to calculate whole days pay. If it is correct I shall just have to swallow it but at the moment I am really angry and upset. I am working notice and due to leave at Easter to go and join my daughter but at the moment I don't feel like being here at all!

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

It looks like the daily rate for an M6 supply teacher paid to scale. I assume that is what was paid out to cover your absence. You can calculate it yourself by dividing your annual salary by 195 days. It seems a little harsh but cover wouldn't be paid out on the basis of a 52 week pay average.

4. Thank you - i work in an independent school and we do not employ supply teachers to cover staff absence. But yes that is what they did, my annual salary divided by 175 which is the independent days worked. This just doesn't seem fair though so wondered if the calculation for unpaid leave was written down any where?

5. Yes, this is normal.
    Salary divided by days worked.
    Look on the bright side ... it makes you realise how much you are paid for a day's work!

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

They have decided that you had to forego the pay for the 3 days plus the pro-rata holiday pay for those days.
    In effect, they have calculated your year's pay as based on 3 fewer teaching days so that by the end of a school year you will have earned gross .... number of days in work, divided by total number of school days, multiplied by f/t equivalent annual salary.
    Look at how many teaching days are in January. There were 20 in most State schools and I assume that your tally may be smaller as private schools generally have longerholiday periods (35 working weeks as against 39 State weeks). What proportion of your working month was reduced by your 3 days off ... 20%?
    20% gross salary deduction does not translate as 20% reduction in take-home pay as you will have still had your tax free and NI free allowance and will have paid less tax and NI and pension on the lower residue of pay after allowances.
    It is because of such penalties that some workers phone in and claim sick leave!
    The same happens to me every time I am unable to work as a supply teacher. I lose the day's pay + the associated holiday component. When the NUT held a strike day a few years ago, the contracted staff in the school lost just a day's pay whilst I lost my full daily rate ... and the issue was about contracted staff rights!