1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unmotivated to run

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekillers1, Sep 21, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

How do I retrain myself to run? Just recently been deactivated to run after moving job and having a new addition to the family. Just feeling a bit low too.

2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Hmm. I don't know how you actually motivate yourself to get back out there for the first time, but I bet that when you do, you'll get that buzz and wonder why you left it so long. Then getting back out for a second time will be miles easier.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Tell yourself in your head you will run... if you don't... don't beat yourself up... tell yourself you will run the next day.

Just do a short stretch... warm it up... build on it... gradually you might find you get back into it...

from Lanokia, another demotivated runner...

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Set a date and time and get in your running gear and then at the appointed time step out of your door and start putting one foot in front of the other. You'll soon get into your rhythm and start enjoying it. Don't wait for motivation, just get out and do it.

thekillers1 likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think making yourself run is probably the same as making yourself write or paint or do your taxes - you just have to do it (well, taxes more so than those other things but you get the gist) Writers write, painters paint. Once you start you'll be ok.
    Do you have headphones? What about listening to podcasts as you run? There are some truly brilliant ones out there. There's a podcast thread on this forum if you want recommendations. Good luck.

thekillers1 likes this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yep - waiting for motivation or inspiration is a fool's game. Or an amateur's game.

thekillers1 likes this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Maybe it isn’t about running per-se. You need to put a bit of time aside just for you and fill it with something active - a good walk, a swim, bike ride or even a run. Remotivating back into running takes quite a bit of mental power and we (well me anyway) can find ‘not now’ excuses too easily. Set yourself a time and an activity and make yourself get out.

And remember - endorphins are a perfect counter to feeling blue.

thekillers1, lanokia and coffeekid like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So true... motivation is some external force that comes along and whacks you around the head. It's from inside, a resource you dig out of yourself... sure there may be an external carrot that draws you forward.... but the motivation is internal.

thekillers1 likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've fallen off the running wagon and I need to get going again. Same as my husband. We were talking about it this morning. You're not alone OP! Just do it. I'm going tomorrow after I've taken the kid to school and walked the dog... although that's a lot of exercise right there, hmmm.

thekillers1 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Find yourself a running partner. You're less likely to avoid running if it means you'll be letting someone down.

thekillers1 and lanokia like this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And it's less tiresome because let's face it, running is BORING.

thekillers1 likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not as boring as swimming though.... back and forth looking at the tiles on the floor of the pool...

Least the scenery changes and you can play music...

thekillers1 likes this.
  13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I do not run, but I have an exercise bike which I use daily. If I get out of the habit, for example when we are away, or when I am doing very long hours for a couple of days, it's hard to get back into it for a while.
    I like the idea of having someone to run with - you'll be more likely to go out then. But is it the running which is not so interesting? Or is it exercise itself? Could you change your chosen activity for a while? Swimming or cycling perhaps?
    It's about remembering what your original motivation was and trying to reconnect, I suppose. And to enjoy it again.

thekillers1 and SundaeTrifle like this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It can be but it is also a good time to clear the head of clutter and concentrate just on the exercise - almost meditative in a way.

thekillers1 and lanokia like this.
  15. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

are you male or female?

I find myself more motivated to run when I put my running bra on first thing in the morning and wear it all day, rather than get home in the evening and think "now I've got to change into my running bra".

(also its very comfortable)

and also, did the new addition to the family come out of you recently? in which case, don't run!

or out of your partner? in which case get a running buggy and take them with you!

and also, congratulations

thekillers1 likes this.
  16. Corvuscorax

it suits some people not others. I don't find it boring. I do find it hard to motivate myself to get started when I've let myself get out of practice though, like now

thekillers1 likes this.
  17. Corvuscorax

where do you live @thekillers1 ?

maybe find a running event to train for, either a little one or a big one, but maybe little to start with. How about one of the forestry commission 10 k cross country runs? The forestry commission is raising money by organising cross country runs on their property

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Drive to the woods just as it's almost dark,park up and go for a nice half hour walk. You'll need to run back to find the car before it gets too dark...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    SundaeTrifle, primarycat and colpee like this.
  19. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Do you need to run? Can you take up another form of exercise that you might enjoy more?

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:rolleyes: Must just be me then. I do a lot of swimming and enjoy it. Probably for the same reasons as I liked running.

Cycling is today’s activity. Currently sitting under a tree with Wee Pee, in the middle of Bristol contemplating our 15 mile return bike ride to Bath along the railway path.
    It’s a very scenic route, the sun is shining, there are nice stopping and eating places and the cycle track is in good repair and completely off-road. Not boring!

SundaeTrifle likes this.