1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unkind Year 6 child

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by rosie_lanyon, Sep 26, 2020.

1. rosie_lanyon

rosie_lanyon New commenter

Hello All
    Hope the start of term has gone as well as it can. I need some collective help. I have a young lady in my Y6 class who is constantly unkind to her peers and stirs up trouble. I've got her onside with me after plenty of praise and 1:1 time however she just cannot seem to help herself when it comes to being unkind to others.
    It's snide comments or out right unkindness (never in a teacher earshot).

I'm going to try her sitting on her own (though I don't think that this is going to be a winner) and I'm going to remind her of behavioral expectations before every breaktime. I don't really want to invent a target card for being kind!

Any ideas/strategies will be gratefully received!
    Thank you!

2. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Could you focus on kindness and be specific about what you mean, giving a few examples of unkind remarks and acts and many examples of kind remarks and acts, then praise any act of kindness? Rather than picking on the individual child, make it a class focus.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    pepper5 likes this.
  3. TrevorCornish9

TrevorCornish9 New commenter

Try to talk to her and her parents. Sometimes children act like this, because there are some issues in the family