1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University's have behaved appallingly towards students

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Newteacher4321, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Newteacher4321

Newteacher4321 New commenter

They've been lied to and used to prop up Universities and housing income. The timing of only finding out that many courses would be delivered online, after they'd signed up for non-refundable accommodation, cannot be accidental.

They are being disproportionately affected despite the severity of covid in their age group being very low.

Universities are damaging their reputations.

Some universities have put whole residence halls into lockdown and wiped students key cards and locked fire doors.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I feel very sorry for students, especially those starting this year.

I'm waiting for the first group action law suit where students sue Universities for their failure to provide what they charge £9K (plus living costs) per year for.

bonxie, Jamvic, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I agree, allowing (encouraging) students most of whom are living away from home for the first time to get themselves into debt in order to spend two weeks stuck in isolation in their flats with a much increased chance of catching covid while delivering online only courses is appalling.

4. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Which university has locked fire doors with students confined within them? If you know, then you should report this to the police. It is not only monumental folly but criminal monumental folly.

5. Newteacher4321

Leeds.
    There's been photos of it on Twitter.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Newteacher4321

That will happen, universities intentionally lied to students this year.

Jamvic, agathamorse and Bungie like this.
  7. Newteacher4321

They encouraged it by lying to the students. Universities are harming their own reputations.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I have to say I'm mystified why so many supposedly academically smart youngsters appear to have thought that returning to Uni in a respiratory disease pandemic would be the same as any other autumn term, especially where halls of residence are concerned. Were they seriously expecting to party like it's 2019 during Fresher's Week? Did they seriously assume they wouldn't be restricted if there was a Covid outbreak in a tightly-packed residential building with shared kitchen facilities?

That said, if they were taking online only courses before Christmas there's no way the Universities should have been herding them back in and promising them anything like a regular 'student experience'. That seems more like a cynical ploy to keep hall of residence rents up for their contracted accommodation suppliers. There must also have been some calculations done about students' impact on certain parts of the local economy in University towns.

I'm also wondering if mass deferred entry would bung up the system in a year's time, and play merry hell with the job market at a time when youth unemployment will be rising. Someone was clearly under pressure to get them all back.

As for Gavin Frank Spencer Williamson having oversight of it all - enough said.

9. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Well what are you waiting for?

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

External property exit gate secured in Leeds by person(s) unknown.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

"Leeds. There's beenphotos of it on Twitter."

Oh. That's alright then. It must be true. I have never known fake, staged or misinformation to appear in Twitter, The Guardian, Express or the BBC.

Bungie likes this.
  12. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

Universities.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Also it wasn't university accommodation. It was a privately owned block of student flats. And the fire brigade have been and "resolved the issue" - cut it off presumably!

lizziescat and agathamorse like this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im glad I wait to the end of the comments sometimes Thank you Rott Weiler.

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  15. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Exactly. Many halls of residence are sub-contracted by Universities now. Makes you wonder if Universities came under any pressure from property companies to fulfil contracts or lose them altogether.

Jamvic likes this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Do you remember the old grates that were apparently used to keep students in during student protests in the 70s? You don't need to be old enough to have been there, just to have seen photos/heard about it! I have heard stories about these being used again, not sure how true it is.
    On the one hand, some say students are endangering life by gathering in large groups in town. On the other, we're going along with gathering teenagers in groups at school all day-and threatening to fine any parent who wants to teach their child safely at home for now.
    So we're terrifying school children by making them risk infecting their old parents/grandparents with a deadly virus, with only hand-sanitiser to reduce risks, yet we're doing this to uni age students?
    Logical?

LiamD, jellycowfish, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

....... or possibly fake news?

19. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

The uni Covid 19 issues are making big headlines meanwhile the issues in schools are not even making the TV news now. Diversion tactic?

Sally006 likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

They're are no schools with hundreds of covid cases and kids boarding.