1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University ratings and PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by PurpleReindeer, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Hello,
    I am considering a Secondary PGCE, but am a little
    befuddled about the Guardian University Ratings. For example, Bath
    University often scores highly - but it isn't even in the top 100 for
    English PGCE.
    Bristol on the otherhand, has done very well.
    Does choice of university really make a difference in job applications in something like teaching?

2. Hello,
    I am considering a Secondary PGCE, but am a little
    befuddled about the Guardian University Ratings. For example, Bath
    University often scores highly - but it isn't even in the top 100 for
    English PGCE.
    Bristol on the otherhand, has done very well.
    Does choice of university really make a difference in job applications in something like teaching?

3. I've been led to believe that it doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run. I could be wrong, but it seems to be the case that a PGCE just isn't viewed in the same way as an undergraduate degree, for example. It's a professional qualification, the result of a training course, for which everyone has to meet the same government requirements regardless of where they studied.

4. I agree with Radiofour.
    Rating for PGCE is often quite different from degrees. It so happens that a former poly, not highly rated by Sunday Times university guide, may score highly for PGCE because the institution (which may have started as a teacher training cllege) has a long, well-deserved track record of producing excellent teachers. While degree table looks at academic achievement, employability and research ratings etc, for PGCE it's things like quality of support, choice of placement schools and how well the course is run and moderated that are decisive. And the standards for QTS you must meet are the same wherever you train.
    By all means consult league tables for PGCE (e.g. by the University of Buckingham and Ofsted), but base your choice also on the area it's situated in and where you want to work after you qualify and other practical factors. Schools don't pay a lot of attention on where you did your PGCE - they are far more interested in what kind of a teacher you are.

5. I would suggest that OFSTED isn't quite the same as league tables, it does give some ideas in it report on how well it thinks the course is organised and taught. But over all a PGCE is a PGCE (well except the post-graduate v professional bit).