1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University of Southampton Cipher Challenge

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rustybug, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I am finally working in a school that has students with the necessary literacy skills and keenness on maths and facilities to enter a few teams for the Cipher Challenge - but the website
    http://www.cipher.maths.soton.ac.uk/
    only talks about the last one. In 2010-11 registration opened on 7 September, so I am a little surprised that on 4 September this year (i.e. today!) there is absolutely no info at all about the next one!
    Have I missed something somewhere? Or do they only start publicising it as it starts or something?

2. I am finally working in a school that has students with the necessary literacy skills and keenness on maths and facilities to enter a few teams for the Cipher Challenge - but the website
    http://www.cipher.maths.soton.ac.uk/
    only talks about the last one. In 2010-11 registration opened on 7 September, so I am a little surprised that on 4 September this year (i.e. today!) there is absolutely no info at all about the next one!
    Have I missed something somewhere? Or do they only start publicising it as it starts or something?

3. I'm not sure. I know the person who runs it at my school will know a lot more about it so I will ask them. Sorry I can't help more but I didn't want to not reply to your question.

4. How kind of you, thank you! This will be my first year of running it properly, and I am dreading it not runnng for some reason!! But surely if it's been axed there would have been some news about it somewhere. Just very surprising to see NOTHING at all about it on the website, no teasers, no places to get posters, nothing. But the unis aren't back yet, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!!

5. DM

DM New commenter

It's great fun!

6. Great fun it may well be, but there is nothing at all on the website, the forum has been disabled, the phone number is disconnected, and I have had no reply to my email!
    Anyone know anything? I think today is the anniversary of the opening date for registration last year.

7. Phew!!! Just got an email... excited now!

Dear Rusty
    We are running the competition again this year and registration formally opens on September 14th. Challenges will be set on Thursday afternoons starting on September 29th. I have attached the letter we are sending to Schools, but please do ask if you have any questions.
    Very best wishes,
    The Cipher Master

8. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

Am I right in thinking the top prize last year was £1000 to the students?

9. I know that when you register you enter the names you want the cheque made out to. Not sure how much it is - it all goes live on the 14th.