1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University of East London "MATH" Equivalency test for PGCE Primary teaching

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by irishthatshowiroll, Feb 25, 2011.

1. irishthatshowiroll

irishthatshowiroll New commenter

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on this test as the Uni is a bit reluctant to give information unfortunately! I emailed UEL and got this reply "The maths equivalency test consists of two papers: one calculator and one non-calculator. They are both past papers from either AQA or OCR exam boards. We do not offer any study material at UEL but I’m sure there will be plenty of information or sample papers online"
    Should I just study all the past papers from say 2007 from each exam board? Any information would be great. I really need to get started on the study.
    Cheers :)

2. irishthatshowiroll

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on this test as the Uni is a bit reluctant to give information unfortunately! I emailed UEL and got this reply "The maths equivalency test consists of two papers: one calculator and one non-calculator. They are both past papers from either AQA or OCR exam boards. We do not offer any study material at UEL but I’m sure there will be plenty of information or sample papers online"
    Should I just study all the past papers from say 2007 from each exam board? Any information would be great. I really need to get started on the study.
    Cheers :)

3. That's pretty much what I'd do. I'd grab a couple of papers, have a crack at them, mark them according to the mark scheme and see what questions i'm getting wrong. Then i'd grab the revision guide and brush up on those topics that are catching me out (probably trig if this were me). Then I'd start the process again.

Enjoy!

4. irishthatshowiroll

Thanks User255,
    Only seen your reply now. Well at least thats a plan sorted for me.... Man I hate Math!!

5. irishthatshowiroll

Ah your a star thanks a mil. I pm'd you there anyway...
    Is it UEL you are going to in Sept? :)

6. Hi, I've read ur msg and was hoping if you could email the paper, I've got my interview for pgce primary very and am sooooooo nervous and confussed about where to start. Would really appreciate it. Thanks

7. hi there, im also doing the maths and science equivilency for UEL in May, i hope to be starting the primary pgce 5-11yrs in UEL in sept..just seen ur post there, and was wondering if u wud e- mail me the maths papers, im from Ireland also and finding it difficult to get papers only whats online. R u starting UEL in sept??
    Heres my e-mail
    claire.dowdall2@mail.dcu.ie
    would really appreciate the help

8. Hi Ruthchap,
    I am currently trying to decide which Uni's to apply to for the Primary Pgce, Uel is one that I am interested in. You mentioned that you have just come to the end of your course there, I wondered if you would mind sharing your thoughts on there course and the Uni, wether you recommend it, course structure and the areas that you took your placements in, hope you dont mind me picking your brains, any info would be great.

9. Hi Ana12 , I have really enjoyed studying at UEL. It is a full timetable, with a nice balance of whole school lectures and tutor group classes. The placements are organised in East London, North London, Essex and Kent, in 3 six week blocks. Additional single day observation placements illustrate specific subjects.
    I would study here again, and am considering when to start my Masters!
    Good luck with your applications.

10. Thank you!
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, it's really handy to hear from somebody who has recently completed the course... I have heard that they do a joint masters from another link, not sure what it's about, am sure I'll find out, go for it! I would.
    Have you had much luck with work? I've heard that most gain work through there placements, which is why I asked about the areas, do you get to pick or have a say in where you are placed? or is it a lucky dip... I bet your relieved that you are at the end of it now, wish I was you!
    I notice you mentioned that they do maths tests regularily, I have been revising maths gcse for a while now, is there anything else you recommend revising to get a head start?
    Thanks again :)

11. maryam86

maryam86 New commenter

Hi there, are you also enrolling for the for the PGCE commencing this September (at UEL)? I am sitting an equivalence test in Maths on the 9th of this month. I've have been doing some revision but it's just doing my head in now. If your brother is sending you the papers, could you please scan them and post them to us? We would all really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Regards