1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University of Cumbria- Lancaster

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by saro87, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Has anyone else got an interview here for primary? I have to prepare a 5 min presentation on the teaching and learning in early reading which im really nervous about as im rubbish at these kind of things. Im just wondering what to cover as 5 minutes isnt long, any suggestions?

thanks x

2. Eek I have an interview on the 21st for secondary history, I hope to god I don't have to do a presentation. . . I wish I had my confirmation so I could get on with preparing, I only have provisional confirmation of a date through phoning up. . . Good Luck!!

3. I know some of the PGCE course leaders there. They said in the presentation they are looking for structure (beginning middle end), enthusiasm, an interactive 1 min task to show how you would involve pupils, and some explanation of why certain methods are effective. Hope this helps.

4. Hello, I had an interview at the University of Cumbria for Primary for a short route course. My presentation was actually on R.E. but the tutor asked me quite a few questions about my opinion of synthetic phonics teaching.
    I don't know how much you know about teaching and learning in early reading but they were very interested in the synthetic phonics scheme we teach at school and agreed with my answer that while it's a great way of teaching children to decode that it's important that literacy teaching isn't just about decoding but also about becoming familiar with different genres of writing etc.
    Let me know if you want any more information. I'm happy to help if I can. They can't be expecting you to know too much about it at the start of your course I wouldn't think, so part of it is probably going to be an assessment of your ability to stad up in front of others and connect with them. I was complimented on my enthusiasm about teaching and learning, understanding the challenges for some childern in learning to read and my desire to help them as best as I can. The tutors were all really friendly and wanted me to do well. It helps to smile a lot!
    Although you didn't have to do a PowerPoint presentation I did, not because it really added a lot to the information I was giving but so I wouldn't forget what I was saying! I would have been lost without it!

Good wishes, Jill

5. I have an interview for Cumbria in January. Very nervous! Need to start preparing the presentation. I wonder how many people we have to do it infront of? Does anybody know? I know it said a "small number of candidates" in the email but I wonder how small "small" really is....

6. its only groups of around 4-5 people and one of the interviewers not as daunting as I thought!You will be in the same group for the grouptask as well!I had my interview last week still waiting to hear !!