1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UNIVERSITY INTERVIEW

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by skiff20, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I have my Uni interview for next week for Primary Teaching.
    Any tips?
    [​IMG]

2. That's a little vague.

3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Smile and be honest [​IMG]

4. It's vague because i'm worrying about the whole thing!! I just don't know where to start, the closer it's looming the more anxious I am becoming. I'm re-learning Maths and English and reading through the curriculum. I understand legislations that go with working with children through my course I am learning now. I just don't know what else I should be looking into..

5. You sound like you are well prepared so you probably don't have anything to worry about. There was a thread you can search in prospective students that had a list of questions that may come up - you could look at if you haven't already done so. Good luck.

6. Concentrate on your actual school and classroom experience in primary schools. They will want to hear what you have absorbed observing experienced teachers, their strategies, good lessons you've seen and why, how would you act in specific situation (the so-called 'what if' scenario - e.g. a pupil is struggling, how would you support? A fight starts, what would you do?). Smile, show enthusiasm for and commitment to primary teaching, be smartly dressed.

7. Be clear on why you want to teach primary as opposed to secondary and don't say anything like 'it seemed like the easier option' - girl in my paired interview did that and it didn't seem to go down particularly well!

8. They will definitely ask you why you want to be a teacher, so rehearse your answer to that! It's normally the first question so it's important for first impressions.