1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University Fees of £36 000 to study MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Geekie, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I was an English assistant in Spain during my year abroad, which I also found a very lucrative experience. However, I know that my County Council paid my tuition fees to my university for that year. Quite what the Uni did with it I don't know, but for the people who chose to attend a university in Spain instead of being a FLA that money paid their tuition at that uni.
    [​IMG]

2. Currently fees are payable in advance to the foreign university by the student, and we are talking in the hundreds here not the thousands. On proof of matriculation those fees are reimbursed through the Erasmus scheme to the student. As far as I am aware only a nominal fee is payable to the home uni for that year.
    What would the fee be for to the home uni? Students no longer even receive a visit from a tutor whilst studying abroad. All the admin is done in year 2.
    Are UK students no longer to be eligible for the Erasmus scheme? This really does not make any sense.

3. You know I was confused about this. It is the €250 a month grant that you need to matriculate for. I also think that my son was reimbursed the fees for the more intensive language course that he paid up front for in Spain on proof of matriculation.
    Financially it has been a painless year for me, and one in which my son has learnt so much about so many things. It would be a tragedy if fewer students went. More should go they would come back the better for it.

4. Ooh, thank-you for posting that , we have exactly the same situation as my son has also paid upfront for an extra lang. course (which he says is really worth it). It hadn't occurred to us to try and reclaim that one, but it sounds like it might be worth having a go.