1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

University Admission Statistics

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by AndrewJamesHoward, Sep 11, 2015.

1. I am a brand new member making my first post - I do apologise if I have made any procedural mistakes in the following.

I am trying to get my head around university/further education statistics, have spent a few hours browsing various online datasets and am left with a couple of disconnects which I hope someone could help me with.

(i)Government destination data says c. 50% of people are entering university a year or so after leaving Key Stage 5 (A Level or equivalent). But data also says that c. 25% of undergraduates are mature students. University participation rates have been up to 50% for some time. Where are all the mature students coming from? Data says most of them are not that old (mostly in their 20's). So this would suggest that the population is tending towards a "university educated fraction" in excess of 67% (50%x4/3). This seems awfully high, as regards people getting in and people wishing to go. Am I missing something?

(ii) Other data says that UK undergraduate entrants are about 450,000 this year (UK ie excluding overseas entrants). Now if 25% are mature, that gives us 337,500 coming out of KS5. But another report gives the total number of KS5 people with 3 A Levels or equivalent from England at 250.000. If I scale this up on a population basis for the whole UK, I get 300,000. So am I to surmise that 3 A Levels of any grade at all will get a student into university, in addition to which an additional 37,500 students non-mature get in with less than that (not saying that's a bad thing, just trying to understand the process and the statistics)? Or again, am I missing something?

2. Molomo

Molomo New commenter

what acquirements do they want if you need to add your modules with any institutions