1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Universities to create A'levels

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by dg63, Apr 2, 2012.

1. dg63

dg63 New commenter

"Education Secretary Michael Gove has sent a letter to examinations regulator Ofqual in which he says universities should create a new set of A-levels.

In the letter, seen by BBC Newsnight, Mr Gove says he "does not envisage the Department for Education having a role" in developing the new qualifications.

Mr Gove says he is concerned that A-levels are failing to properly prepare students for university.

He goes on to say preparing students is the primary role of the A-level."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17588292

I feel like I've gone back 30 years. Universities used to write the exam papers until it became such a huge money spinner for Pearson et al.

2. dg63

dg63 New commenter

3. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

My favourite part of the letter is the fact that universities can decide whether to do away with the current modular structure of A Levels. Gove clearly believes that they will choose to do so. This makes me laugh as my stepdaughter has chosen modules every term of her degree, some assessed through exams at the end of the term and some through coursework!

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Whilst January modules may go, an exam in June of Yr 12 will remain (as an AS or as part of the overall A level) as this is the best predictor of how a student will do for the course and therefore the most useful piece of data to base offers on.