1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Universal credit: Single mothers win High Court battle

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jan 11, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46834533

Well good for them.

Basically I have no issue with Universal Credit as a concept of a means-tested benefit, rolling six separate benefits into one payment. It can, and should, make benefits payment simpler for the government and the claimant and should cost less to administer.

However, in its current form it simply isn't working, causing greater poverty and anxiety to some claimants and this should not be the case. The problem is that new claimants have to wait 35 days before receive their first payment (four weeks to assess the last month's earnings plus a further week to process the payment). For some that leaves them without any money for an extended period of time. Maybe a 'starter payment' which can be adjusted later if needed?

The sooner it gets a radical overhaul the better.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    InkyP, Laphroig, chelsea2 and 2 others like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It was one of those "big ideas". Easy to come up with big ideas. Blue-skies thinking.

Like us all having a unique identifier for the NHS and able to access our records wherever we are in the UK and all our information being in one place. You had an X-ray in Fife when you were working there? But you live in Dumfries? And then had a heart attack visiting your sister in Aberdeen? No problem. The medics have all your history in front of them at the click of a mouse.

Ha! Never happened.

How about this? You have a big idea? Shut up about it. Only announce it when you've given it a test-drive and it actually works!

Laphroig and nomad like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Unfortunately it is typical. And the fact that claimants moving from previous systems to UC got nothing for six weeks is ridiculous (they can get a "loan" for the period, but it has to be paid back after). Of course, in the real world, if the so-called "living wage" was actually something people could live on, the need for many claims would not be there. But the Tories support business by allowing them to underpay their workers (legally), the tax threshold is still way too low (probably should be £25K min), so the businesses. many of them foreign, can cream off the profits while paying no company taxes in this country, and swan about like that Philip Greed.

Duke of York and nomad like this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I had my benefits frozen ( old system) while a 'decision maker' determined whether I was eligible. After 6 months I wrote to DWP threatening to take them to court via small claims. A decision was made and I got £1000 back payments. Later on I got a £300 sanction overturned because they had been applying a wrong date check criteria .
    I refuse to speak on the phone to such bureaucratic monsters and use letters via post. They also refused me permission to record an interview or have a witness to verify what they said.

nomad likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Lawyers for the women said the problem was likely to affect "tens of thousands of people" claiming the benefit.

So, maybe there will be other court cases to follow.

Hopefully the DWP will get the message sooner rather than later.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In the news item I listened to about this, they said the judge put in her summation that it wasn't that anything intrinsically unfair about universal credit that had caused the problems, they were caused through benefits offices not following their own rules.

It's the sort of thing likely to happen when targets are set, which undermine the intention the service is to provide.

Teachers will be familiar with the grade inflation tactics that go on in order to meet targets, which take the eye off of providing the best education possible. The same thing will occur in any system that has targets to meet. In the case of benefits, those targets are intended to assist politicians with statistics to demonstrate how many people have been taken out of poverty, whilst entirely ignoring the reasons that benefits exist for.

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

So in 2010 the government puts the government in charge of reforming the benefit system the government devised and over 8 years later the reforms are still not in place and its all a big mess and anyone is surprised because why???