1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Units of alcohol...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. It was also suggested to me by my whatever a Kieferchirurg is when I had root treatment!

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Some kind of surgeon?

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Dentist?

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Aha! Maxillofacial surgeon.
    Toughest job in the world - you have to qualify as a doctor and a dentist to practice.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

O/h's Plastic Surgeon prescribed "a good glass of wine" for anxiety caused by cancer diagnosis - love it! We have been quoting it daily (and repeatedly!!)

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Years ago, I saw the consultant I was under and he bought me 1/2 pint of Gin and Tonic!!

7. For normal stregth beer, wine and spirits 1 unit of alcohol is 1 125ml wine glass of wine, half a pint of beer / cider or one standard pub measure of spirits.

But it gets complicated because 12.5% wine is 1.5 units a glass and strong lager can be several units a pint.

follow the link for more information
    http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I love booze. There, I said it.
    I tend to disregard the recommended limits for alcohol consumption - suffice to say I can easily exceed the weekly limit in an evening without even really going for it.
    An average bottle of wine is about 10 or 11 units, which is about half the weekly limit for men - I'm sure I'm not alone on here in saying that I can drink a bottle without even thinking too hard about it. A meal with friends on a weekend will frequently see at least 2 bottles per person being drunk.
    And that's just the wine with the meal - never mind G&Ts or fizz beforehand, or the whiskies or brandys with coffee.
    Although - not during the week any more - teaching with a hangover isn't fun.
    In fact - not much at all any more. Don't fancy the idea of handling a baby after too much to drink.
    Parents of the forum - when can I look forward to resuming boozing with passion again???!!
    [​IMG]

9. egyptgirl

I thought giving up alcohol would really bother me, but it really hasn't. When I go to one of Mr EGs gigs, there is always drink there put aside for family and friends to have while the band is playing and I could stand and chat to his brothers or our friends or the girlfriends of the other band members and we'd quite eaily get through four or five bottles of beer each - and that was just while they were playing.
    Since I've been pregnant, the very thought of drinking any alcohol or coffee has made me feel all funny so I've just given up. One thing I have noticed is how much other people drink. What scares me is that fact that I probably used to drink more than they did.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Donna didn't miss them at all when pregnant either - and in fact she's sticking with caffeine free tea. She'll have the odd coffee though.
    She didn't miss booze at all - went off wine altogether; tending to have just the odd half of shandy now and then.
    She has a glass or two now, but still has to be careful, as she's breastfeeding. She's looking forward to a few weeks time when we're away for the night, sans M, when she'll have a good drink (she'll throw away the milk she expresses in the morning!).
    Best of all though - she hasn't gone back to the fags since having the baby. So proud of her!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I resumed as soon as I was out of hospital both times!
    I, too, love a drink - dry white wine from France or Italy or a dry rosé from teh south of France are my particular favourites, or a pint of good cask conditioned ale. I don't drink spirits, though.

12. egyptgirl

I've never smoked - never seen the attraction myself but Mr EG did (quite heavily as well). He gave up when we found out I was pregnant and he's doing really well. He is using NRT but is weaning himself off it slowly - he's cut down on his drinking as well and is starting to eat (a bit) more healthily. We had a cooked breakfast at a farm shop on Sunday morning and he's normally a fried egg man but had a poached egg instead! I think fatherhood is going to be really good for him!

13. Why is it in this country that if you say you've drunk too much its all nudge nudge, wink wink, bottoms up and good for you whereas if I say I've eaten a whole bar of Lindt I am a greedy pig who may have issues with overeating?
    How is drinking too much something jolly but eating too much is greed?

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

not in my book it isn't.
    We all know our personal limits and hopefully we stick to those, not to some arbitrary limit imposed by do-gooders who want to tell us how to live our lives.,
    If you want to eat a whole bar of good quality chocolate, go ahead and enjoy it WITHOUT GUILT: you are an adult with free will!

My comments were aimed at showing the difference between "I'm not a drinker" and "only one Pils!!!" Yes - our nanny state would limit our dear CQ to just 1 glass of Pils.

15. I wasn't aiming at you personally.
    There is a general attitude in this country that drinking too much is just norty and drunkenness is a jolly thing. Over-eating, especially when it results in fatness, is something to be ashamed of.
    They're <u>the same thing</u>.
    I think that as a nation our view of drinking is very skewed.

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

.... and our relationship with food is equally co.ck-eyed!

17. I don't think its the same.
    If I went into work on a Monday morning boasting that I'd had three pizzas and two tubs of Haagen Dazs on Friday night would I get the same response as someone who had overdone it on the alcohol and ended up walking down the main road wearing a traffic cone?
    I doubt it very much.

18. But people on this forum don't speak like that - and I took Henriette's response to just be teasing me a bit (I ended up having FIVE Pils, but it was a long evening).
    All I wanted to know what how the unit system works - I wasn't really intended having a debate with my son about "5 are ok if only once in a blue moon but more than 1 a day is bad".
    As far as he is concerned alcohol is totally off limits and will be for a long time! This school project is to introduce them to the system and there will be discussion later on at school. I don't want to confuse him too early - the unit maths is complicated enough!

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

phew! That is how it was intended! I think we understand each other pretty well.[​IMG]
    Mind you , it <u>IS</u> shocking to find out that a single drink is all they recommend per day isn't it ? (or am I just an old soak and unashamed of it??)
    H [​IMG]

20. I suppose they aim lower than higher! I suspect because if you regularly drink every day, you will at some point start to drink more on a regular basis?
    I was quite surprised - considering how popular the "Feierabend" beer is in Germany (mind, Germans are big beer drinkers, no denying it).
    Binge drinking - now that is something different. Those are the kind who end up wearing traffic cones.