1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Units of alcohol...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Well, each drink carries a certain amount of units and you're not supposed to have more than 3-4 units per day if you're a man or 2-3 per day if you're a woman (I think this is supposed to be equivalent to a 175ml glass of wine!) on a regular basis.
    There is a link to an alcohol calculator below (on the right hand side of the page!):
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/Effectsofalcohol.aspx

2. Yes, we understand that bit but the calculations are doing our heads in. It all seems so complicated!
    What does it boil down to in beer, wine and spirits?
    Google is driving me mad.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Your average pint of lager eg Stella is about 3 units, a 250ml glass of wine is the same. A single measure of a spirit is 1 unit or a large measure is 2 units. A pint of cider is 3 1/2 units and a pint of ale is 2 1/2 units. There are about 9-10 units in a bottle of 12% wine. I odn't know about alcopops.

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It's a bit tricky, as it depends on the ABV of the wine or beer (spirits are pretty straightforward as they are usually 40%).
    But the general guidelines are:
    half pint of beer or lager at 3.5% ABV = 1 unit of alcohol
    1 x 125ml glass of wine at 11% ABV = 1 unit of alcohol
    1 x 25ml 'nip' of spirits = 1 unit of alcohol

5. So 0,5 litres (a standard German Pils) are ...?
    (I am sure I drink more than the recommended units even though I don't drink much!)

6. gnnnnnnnnnnnnnarrrrrrrrrrr.
    Ok, to work out the maths...
    I am currently drinking a bottle of 0,5 Pils, 4,5% alcohol volume.
    What is that in units?

7. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

about 3 units

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

1 european unit = 10ml ethanol
    so you have to look at the strength of the drink and pro-rata the amount of alcohol per serving.

look at this document!

9. So, as a woman, I am only supposed to drink one Pils?
    Oh my giddy aunt...

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

11. Yes, I can access the links.
    My son is now asking if I would prefer a cup of tea...

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Well, I reckon I probably exceeded my entire week's alcohol 'allowance' on Friday.
    Just checked and my pulse tells me I'm most definitely still alive. [​IMG]

13. egyptgirl

From memory (taught this last year) I think there is about 3 units in a pint of beer
    A standard measure of a spirit is roughly 1.5 units although this can depend on the spirit.
    Wine depends on the % and a 175ml glass is usually somewhere around 2.3 units.
    Does that help?

14. egyptgirl

That's what I'm drinking - but I'm on an enforced detox
    Mr EG drank all day Friday and Saturday and is on his fourth beer.
    He's not dead and will still be alive tomorrow - that is, if I don't kill him in the night because of his combined snoring and the fact that he can sleep soundly and I can't because the baby spends all night kicking [​IMG]
    but I digress...

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

[​IMG]

16. Honestly, if I look at the % of Pils, no way can we hit or keep below those units!
    (I won't drink lager, bleddy dishwater).

17. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

[​IMG] The simple answer is that you are fine as long as you are drinking less than your doctor! I dread to think how many units I drank yesterday!

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I used to sell income protection to doctors (and dentists) and they are notoriously high consumers of alcohol!

19. That comforts me as kids are back off to Dad and I am going out and I will certainly not be drinking one poxy Pils!
    (son has just said - oh the shame - but Mum, you are English, they can drink more).
    He shall have his bottom spanked the morrow.

20. egyptgirl

LOL - yes!
    When Mr EG broke his leg, his GP suggested a good slug of whisky would provide better pain relief than the painkillers he prescribed!