1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unit One Results next week- how will you respond?

Discussion in 'English' started by alba21, Mar 3, 2012.

1. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Hi Everyone,
    I started as HOD in September and these are my first set of results- bit scared! What are you doing in response?
    We have our spreadsheet which will calculate the 60% C/A plus the 40% exam results which should give us a good idea of our overall status. Lots of intervention for those who pass and can concentrate on Literature. Lots of intervention for those who need to resit. Anything else?
    Cheers! Oh... and good luck too!

2. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Gin.

Probably some intervention on the writing controlled assessments. Day off timetable & whacking one out in a day.

More gin.

3. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Replace Gin with JD and Coke, otherwise much the same!

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Ours did theirs in the summer. Other than gin, we have:
    • given them all the question level break down so they can see where they went wrong, and can target that. In some cases, they didn't finish the paper - that's been a significant problem.
    • identified the 35 most likely to cross C/D and put them on a support plan - weekly targets and free revision guides
    • put on lunchtime sessions which they are explicitly invited to. They'll also be explicitly invited to Saturday revision (sigh)
    • run new CA sessions (not sure this was all that worthwhile. Most students went up one or two marks. For the three hours teaching time + the marking, not worth it as far as I can see)