1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unit 2 PRACTICAL - EDEXCEL - WHAT DO THEY WANT TO SEE? HELP!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by walshj77, Aug 26, 2011.

1. I am so confused now. Can someone tell me what they are looking for in practical lessons unit 2? I was under the impression that this unit was all about exploring a play text practically. From practical exploration the students should be able to come up with suggestions/interpretations of plot, character and how certain scenes could be staged. I know they can't evaluate PERFORMANCES in practical lessons. So they SHOULDN'T be saying 'their spontaneous improvisation was good because it created empathy with the audience'. But I thought that they should be saying 'the spontaneous improvisation was excellent because it gave me an insight into the characters of Mickey and Linda. I think that their relationship is falling apart because space worked well in the improvisation...etc. Surely this is relating to the part of the assessment criteria which says 'communication of ideas shows an outstanding knowledge and understanding of plot, character, form and structure'. HELP!!!!!!!

2. I am so confused now. Can someone tell me what they are looking for in practical lessons unit 2? I was under the impression that this unit was all about exploring a play text practically. From practical exploration the students should be able to come up with suggestions/interpretations of plot, character and how certain scenes could be staged. I know they can't evaluate PERFORMANCES in practical lessons. So they SHOULDN'T be saying 'their spontaneous improvisation was good because it created empathy with the audience'. But I thought that they should be saying 'the spontaneous improvisation was excellent because it gave me an insight into the characters of Mickey and Linda. I think that their relationship is falling apart because space worked well in the improvisation...etc. Surely this is relating to the part of the assessment criteria which says 'communication of ideas shows an outstanding knowledge and understanding of plot, character, form and structure'. HELP!!!!!!!

3. This is a difficult one because my students tended to say almost the reverse of yours, i.e If we used music we could see if this improved the tension in the scene, instead of we used music and we could see our performance was improved...if you see what I mean. Having said that, the report for unit 2 was fine BUT told I'd been too generous with the marks and reduced by 6 each anyway so what's the point? Good report = lowered marks.

4. Same for me, my marks reduced by 6! Also told the work was in line with national standards. Confused.com

5. Anyone...please help!!!

6. Walsh, my advice would be to book yourself on a course ASAP. (Oh how much Edexcel will make off the back of the GCSE courses this year!) I think everyone on here is in a similar position so it's unlikely most people will be able to offer a lot of help.

7. Cheers Crunchy Nut. Problem with that is that we teach Unit 2 at the start of Sept! Yup - in a week !

8. I would try to postpone that of you can. I don't think it's worth doing it til you've had some more advice. I'll be leaving my teaching of units 1 and 2 until I've been on a course. Although we weren't scaled this year I'm not confident that that doesn't mean we won't be scaled next year!

9. Time wise - I'm having to start Unit 2 as soon as we go back in September....
    My understanding is that they want to see LOTS of use of the text - in my DVD I did lots of off text stuff to show understanding of character and plot and was told off !!! So, I'm thinking about it along the lines of the AS Unit 1 where EVERY exercise etc is explicitly linked back to the text so, if I'm doing character work, I get them to look at a section of the text in groups FIRST before doing hot seating or marking the moment or whatever strategy.....as I do with Unit 1 in AS....now, if I'm wrong, PLEASE tell me!!

10. I have already done Unit 2 - yikes! May have to do it all again ...........

11. I think you're right, yes. We were told on the launch course to be careful of too many off text activities. What you're talking about sounds sort of like what we did this year, which was okay-ed by the moderator.

12. Ok cool. AND - if they are, for example, creating their own interpretation of one section of the text. They aren't evaluating the QUALITY of the performance but more how creating an interpretation of the section of the text developed their understanding of character, plots, themes, form and structure. PLEASE TELL ME I AM RIGHT. Tearing my hear out here.

13. Yes. As I understand it, really it should be about how the exploration of the text developed their understanding of those things. And referencing the strategies, mediums and elements wherever possible and how effectively those things were used in their exploration. I think, as Nwyllie says, they're aiming for more of a Unit 1 AS feel which is all about exploration and not performance of a text.

14. Yes, you have it right, Walshie,
    In the lesson, a range of tasks is essential for students to show their understanding - if you have hour lessons, three/four tasks is ideal. Something that shows their understanding of the characters and the theatricality of the text would be good to see. Hot seating as one of the tasks might be good. Time spent on-text - either with key lines, or a short extract - to show understanding of elements and medium of drama. Discussion and evaluation will be evident in group work as well as in any feedback after showing work. There are plenty of other things you could do - well, there have to be to meet for explorative strategies - in the whole six hours. Hope that gives you a starting point to your thinking.

15. Arthur, could I pick you brain please? I'm sorry I know you're fielding lots of questions at the moment! We didn't get moved and had high marks okay-ed and most of the moderators comment was ok. It did say that we didn't fulfill all the criteria though - then separately a comment referring to the fact that we didn't talk enough about other peoples work enough. If we weren't moved and there were no other comments can I assume that generally the work was about right apart from this? There was no real detail on the report compared to the unit 1 one.

16. Arthur, you are turning out to be a god send. Have sent you a personal msg? Thanks again. Also thanks to everyone. I just want the team to feel assured. I can't change the order of doing the units. The cohort of over 100 read Blood Brothers before the end of last academic year so I can't change order. Pretty sure we are on track though.

17. I am very confussed too. We were criticised for using the text too much. I was looking at script and subtext using ideas form the AS exam to push them to outstanding. The moderation just didnt seem fair this year and edexcel have moved the goal posts again.[​IMG]

18. Like so many, unit 2 marks WAY downgraded. Unit 1, 4 x A's which were reduced to D's in Unit 2. How can I be so off the mark? Unit 3 all B's apart from one student who did very little but got a D. Also, I only got the 3 component marks, no overall grade. What do I tell the child they got? An A, a B or a D.? Help please.

19. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Add up their UMS marks and compare them to the UMS grade boundaries.

20. Is that now a new job?