1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unit 1 New Spec GCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by scentless_apprentice, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I thought I'd break the mould and talk about some actual Mathematics teaching.
    Currently recapping most of the Unit 1 syllabus with my Y10s and wondering how much focus people have put on the 'Number Skills' element of the unit?
    Have people planned lessons based purely on Fractions, Percentages, Standard Form and the like, or have people built these concepts in?
    I'm just interested in the approach people have taken.

2. I thought I'd break the mould and talk about some actual Mathematics teaching.
    Currently recapping most of the Unit 1 syllabus with my Y10s and wondering how much focus people have put on the 'Number Skills' element of the unit?
    Have people planned lessons based purely on Fractions, Percentages, Standard Form and the like, or have people built these concepts in?
    I'm just interested in the approach people have taken.

3. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

My students are taking their exam in March so I am just doing practice papers at the moment. I taught them in separate topics with quite a few lessons at the beginning focus on number skills.. But if I was to teach it again, I would build in more of the functional skills stuff.

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

When we do it again, assuming they let us without changing the damn thing, we'll do Unit 2 first. In that way, calculators aside, most of the extra bits will have been covered.

5. We are in the same position, having assumed that Unit 1 should come before Unit 2 but now regretting it. I would say that the majority of number content in Unit 1 is doing the number work from Unit 2 with the added advantage that pupils can use a calculator in Unit 1. So far, we have focussed mainly on the Stats work and taught the number work as an aide to doing the stats questions.

We have already decided that next time around we will be doing Unit 2 first!