1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Brunettegirl, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

I'm a new poster here, and have found myself dismayed about the number of teaching professionals who do not belong to a union and have found out too late that they need the support. There are a fair few options for us to choose from, and they are free if you are training or an NQT. Please join up if you haven't done so already. With the climate that we are working in at the moment in schools, it is short sighted not to. I know sometimes the unions can't do very much, but in many cases they are the difference between keeping or losing your job, or exiting in a fair manner.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Absolutely agree with this - the unions are a lifeline when you find yourself in difficult times.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Compassman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Agree completely.

With the caveat that unions cannot solve your problems (many people complain that their union "did nothing") - they don't have a magic wand that will make everything go away, they just do what they can to represent you, get the best deal for you and ensure what your employer does is within the law.

That the deal they get isn't what you really want doesn't mean they "did nothing".

5. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

As I've learned to my cost, I've always been a member of a union until changing banks last year I forgot to set up a new direct debit so my membership was in arrears, completely my own fault. (So much easier when it was taken from salary at source) Fast forward 8 months and sadly although I am now paying the arrears along with this years membership, they are unable to represent me during my present dilemma - so take heed please, please join a union and make sure your subs are up to date. You simply never know what is round the corner.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

As they aren't representing you for the situation that occurred there is no way I'd pay the arrears. I'd either say no or change Union as it would make no difference.

wanet and dixie64 like this.
  7. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

I agree. And I also agree that they can't solve all of our problems, however they can act as an effective buffer if you don't feel well enough or feel able to have a direct communication with your employer.

dixie64 likes this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some of my draft letters can be useful here too.

Best wishes

dixie64 likes this.
  9. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

Omg how naive am I, that didn't occur to me. I was incredibly upset when I called them last week, do you think I should call them again. (Just this question not going to hijack the thread)

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I'd personally call them and ask to speak to someone senior. Whilst they won't represent you for a previous event I don't think they should then ask you to pay for the time they won't cover you!

wanet, Middlemarch and dixie64 like this.