1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by azzie, Sep 10, 2015.

1. azzie

azzie New commenter

For various reasons I no longer rate the Union I belong to. I am looking to join a new Union.

What Union do you belong to and how useful do you feel they have been to you?

Thanks

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

NUT. ****. A total waste of subscriptions.

Sorry.

3. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

NUT. I'm quite involved with certain communities within that and feel they're useful as a means of activism and community. Never had to use for personal reasons though.

4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

(I was part of NASWUT and at a school level, I found them utterly vile. Suspect was the individuals, but didn't want them representing me at all. Less than impressed with other choices they've made in certain niche areas too.)

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I think people's views of unions depend on their experience of them at a local/school level and on their personal politics. It's difficult to generalise! Have you asked your colleagues at work? That might give you an idea of how they perform locally.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

For the umpteenth time, the union is the membership. If the membership won't stand up for itself, nobody else can or will.

darklord11, DYNAMO67 and ilovesooty like this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Sadly, very few teachers will stand up for themselves which, as I have said before, is why we are where we are.

ilovesooty likes this.
  8. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I'm in NUT but will be joining NAT edge in Jan when my membership expires.

No more strike days for me unfortunately.

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

As I said above you are part of the problem. Unwilling to make a stand with other teachers to oppose the massive increase in workload over the last few years.

I personally think that an effective work to rule (ASOSA) would have been very effective but sadly union members won't stand together and those that do are singled out and alienated. Divide and rule.

Oh well, won't be my problem soon.

ilovesooty likes this.
  10. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

When we last went on strike, one of my (now ex-)colleagues took the view that he supported the strike but would be going into work. Those of us who lost a day's pay really appreciated our colleague's support, especially as he sat on his behind all day getting paid to do nothing. Some time later, he was asked by his head of department to get his marking up to date and argued that "we don't have to do marking at home". Oh, I thought, it's "we" now is, it? When told he had to be up to date with his marking, he demanded do know what the union would be doing about it. I am not making this up.

11. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Maybe you need to read again what I wrote.

I've joined in every strike that has taken place since I started teaching. The reason I am changing is not so I don't have to strike.

I meant NAHT edge, by the way - predictive text!

12. escaped_teacher

escaped_teacher New commenter

NUT. They were hugely helpful every time I needed them. Even though I have left teaching, I still pay the subs, out of gratitude.

13. stmha

stmha Established commenter

SSorry but dont agree that the union is what we make it. Unions run expensive campaigns and no longer prioritise their resources to help individiduals in their struggles. It would make an interesting study to find out the percentage of cases that end up with settlement agreements. It seems to be their preferred response.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I agree with you 100%.

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  15. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am not in a union. I am a member of a professional association that provides legal cover and support on an individual level to teachers.

EDAPT.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I was in the NUT and changed to the NAS when I moved schools. They served me well when I called on them.

@Compassman people like your colleague sicken me.

17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

The NUT supported me well (at area and regional level).
    I did have a school rep who was appalling. (Bought off and institutionalised by the head)

18. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

NUT, well-represented by a good rep who's gone to bat for colleagues (as a group and as individuals) successfully against crazier elements in management.

I guess it really depends on your rep (school or above). If they're spineless or toothless or management are fearless, I don't think it matters what union you're with.

19. cd@cd

cd@cd New commenter

no point to unions they are a waste of subscription money. My hours have increased as has my workload. heavily profession , and the unions have allowed this to happen!!!!!!!!

20. cd@cd

cd@cd New commenter

union is supposed to represent its members, they have done nothing for me