1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kittylion, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I am thinking of changing my union. I have noticed a few Tessers complain about their unions but nobody ever names the union they are with. I assume this is either for legal reasons or because they just don't feel comfortable doing so. Are we allowed to recommend or discuss particular unions on this site? I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire here. If I did change unions and a problem arose which dated from when I was with my previous union, would my new union still represent and advise me?

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

A union will only deal with a situation which has arisen while you hold membership with them.

3. kittylion

Thanks Ilovesooty that's good to know although I can't think of anything that might arise - maybe I should move fast then in case something happens.

4. I think what kittylion is asking is if, for example, an allegation was made that X happened on November 21st, when kittylion was still with union A BUT the allegation was made on December 21st when kittylion was with union B, would union B support kittylion? So, the date of alleged happenings is prior to the union switch but the actual allegation is within membership to union B.
    (Using "allegation" because I lack wits to think of something else simple enough to use as an example.)

5. kittylion

Yes Alliandra that is what I meant - sorry if it wasn't clear - does that make a difference? Would the new union support and advise me about an "allegation" which was made after I had transferred to my new union but about an "incident" which took place whilst I was still with my old union, if no previous "complaint/allegation" had been made about it?

I don't have a reason to think that this would happen but I just wondered.

6. If you have any ongoing (even if latent) sh|t, stay with you current union because the new one won't touch it.
    I am with NUT and I have been <u>very</u> satisfied with them, they have helped me loads on several occasions.

7. comments about union satisfaction depends upon the committment from school/local and regional responses; for example I could be in x union who are generally good at regional but rubbish at local representation. also, it will vary across the country with regional offices.

8. kittylion

Thanks Spool and Kindofaverage - the regional/local comment reflects what I meant about out of the frying pan into the fire - it's all so unknown. As far as I am aware Spool there are no issues latent or otherwise, but recent events in general make me wary that's all. Maybe I'd better stay put - my dissatisfaction stems more from my union's treatment of a colleague than from any dealings I have had with them.