1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UNIONS

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chriszwinter1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Do you mean controlled assessments?

2. no - sorry I meant compromise agreements.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I am not sure what you mean by your question - do you mean that only regional officers deal with CA's? If this is your question, I would say yes as they are paid to negotiate on your behalf, whereas a union rep in school is an unpaid representative, with some training but no real legal experience (unless of course they studied law!).

4. I had absolutely zero training when I was a school union rep- I had to double check everything I was giving advice on. I'm wary of school reps as a result!

5. hi FF - I meant do regional only get involved with CAs and nothing else for you?

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Local secretaries or regional officials are your best bet.

7. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

But be very careful what you accept. Good luck, I hope it works out for you [​IMG]

8. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Regional officialese should get involved wherever necessary, not just with CA's. I say 'should' as some unions/regional officers (as demonstrated in this forum) do not do the job as well as other unions. Talking from personal experience here now, I have contacted my union at regional level for many things over the years - maternity issues, grievance issues and of course, disciplinary issues - every time I have been supported very well. Hope my answer helps.

9. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I think it depends on the union and where you are. I didn't have a school rep and my local rep IS my regional rep - cut backs and all that. Good luck.