1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions? Should we join one as we start GTP? which one?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jen71j, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am about to start my GTP and am wondering whether I should be joining a union. If so, can anyone recommend which one to join?

2. yes you should join a union when you are on GTP, it is essential for anyone working day to day with kids. Wait until you get into school and see if there is one particular union that is stronger in your school or if you have strong views on things like not striking then research the best union based on this.

3. thanks I will do that

4. Hi Jen,
    I am also starting a GTP in September and I was advised by my school to join asap. It is free to join NUT, NASUWT and ATL as a GTPer. Check out their websites to see what you think and you can then join online or by phone with immediate cover.

5. I was recommended NASUWT and promptly signed up with them.

6. If you join the NUT, your training year is free and then your NQT year costs £1! I dont know the price of the others but surely cant be much better than that?

100% worth getting into a union - it acts as professional insurance and they will help you out, god forbid, if anything happens to you whilst at school.

7. I've just completed my GTP, and on advice from those who knew better than I did, signed up for the NUT, NASUWT and ATL so that I was able to suss which one I preferred, rather than simply doing what everyone else in school or on the course was doing. They were all free to join, and I didn't experience any problems/conflicts as a result of joining all three. Having received literature from them all throughout the year, seeing how they served their members, and their positions on key issues I felt I was able to make a more informed decision as to which one would serve me best as an NQT.

8. I've been told that on registration day reps from the unions will be there and to sign up with them all as it is free when training, you can then decide which one is best for you for when you are teaching.
    :)