1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions inspecting school

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Bluelamb, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Bluelamb

Bluelamb New commenter

Quick question.

Do unions have the right to come into schools to inspect it? If so how should they do this?

2. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

A union-appointed H&S rep can inspect the workplace every few months, by arrangement, and obviously only from a H&S angle.

I've never heard of unions having any other privileged access to school premises.

Can you give some context?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Quick answer:

What asnac said. Beyond that, the answer is no.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just to clarify the union-appointed H & S 'inspection' - unless someone can point me at some legislation that says otherwise, I do not believe there is any "right" of such a person to inspect a school; moreover, if they were allowed by the head/governors to do so and then wanted back in to do the same thing "every few months", I think most would be given short shrift. "By arrangement" means "with permission", doesn't it?

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

From www.legislation.gov.uk/.../made,

Inspections of the workplace

5.—(1) Safety representatives shall be entitled to inspect the workplace or a part of it if they have given the employer or his representative reasonable notice in writing of their intention to do so and have not inspected it, or that part of it, as the case may be, in the previous three months; and may carry out more frequent inspections by agreement with the employer.

This upholds what asnac has said and supports Middlemarch's points as well. Union safety reps can't just walk in and wander wherever they like.