1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions in NQT year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by evilpixie, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I'm just about to finish my PGCE year and starting to look forward to my NQT year (once i get a job!)
    When on the PGCE everyone said join all 3 unions as they are free!
    Now I'm getting lots of "stuff" from all 3 unions about my NQT year. Can you continue with all 3 (as they are free!) or do you have to chose one?

Thanks

Kim

2. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I don't think they continue to be free in your NQT year but they do offer excellent rates. I've just joined the NUT because they called me first and offered me full membership for £1 and a free book! (Other unions are, of course, available.)

3. Did you take time to consider their values and how they match yours?

4. I have been with ATL and NUT this year to get a flavour of what they were like. I have been with ATL for years since working as an LSA so was planning to stay with them. I stayed with NUT this year because my school is quite challenging and there have been issues in the past with leadership, and everyone else is in NUT so felt that solidarity was important but I will be cancelling my membership when i leave in July.
    I am pondering whether or not to stay with ATL as I feel their reaction to the current situation is too quick. I don't think anyone can take action until a firm decision has been made by the government and at the moment this is still a proposal and is in consultation - I think the strike action is too early. Ironically, I joined ATL because historically they have always been a none striking union and I felt NASUWT were too militant for me, but as they have exercised a better attitude to the current situation, I am pondering jumping ship at the end of the year.
    I think you need to find out, as pinkflipflop has said, which matches your values and I will seriously considering this as I leave my NQT year.

5. I am about to complete my NQT year and I have continued membership of 3 unions due to offers of free/£1 membership for the year. I don't think there's anything to say you can't be a member of every union out there.
    However when I signed up, I (naively in hindsight) never gave a second though to whether the union stood for what I believed in.
    At times like these however I don't see how you can be in a union that is going to strike and one which isn't! For that reason I have spent the week cancelling my subscriptions to all but one union!

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well said, PFF.

If you don't believe in striking under any circumstances join VOICE. If you join a proper union be prepared to strike if there's a ballot endorsing strike action.