1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions in Independent Sector

Discussion in 'Independent' started by mrGundam, Jun 18, 2019.

1. mrGundam

mrGundam New commenter

I will be starting in an independent school in September coming from a state school. I previously worked abroad in an international school where unions are obviously no use and just wanted to see what the deal is in the UK independent sector.

I assume there is no point in continuing my union subscription?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It is very important to be in a union. The National Education Union (formerly ATL) claims to represent more teachers in independent schools than any other teaching union.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As does The National Education Union (formerly NUT)! :p

Definitely be in a union. While the school may not enter negotiations with unions when making policies and the like, you never know when an allegation may be made and union support will be essential.
    Also, union advice can be useful for day to day hassles, etc.
    I've certainly used my union (The lovely NEU above) in the four years I've been in an indie.

mrGundam likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I agree with the posts above - you should always be in a union - just in case. Another Union is called Voice.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

ATL as was, now NEU, is recognised by many independents.

6. mrGundam

mrGundam New commenter

Ah good job I asked as I assumed unions are redundant in the independent sector. I shall refrain from cancelling my NEU subscription.

Thanks for all the input :)

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Your union subscription can be set against tax. Well, that was how it used to be done, but I have been teaching overseas for a long time and maybe things have changed.

mrGundam likes this.
  8. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Still the case.

Remember what assumption does to u and me. Good decision to ask.

9. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Join join join. Think of it as job insurance, I am happy with NASUWT, but I don’t think it is important, try to find out which union is most common at your new school and join that one