1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions in FE

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ZanyInsany, Dec 12, 2016.

1. ZanyInsany

ZanyInsany New commenter

Hi. I am about to move from secondary education to FE. I have always been a member of a union and wondered if this was deemed as a necessary / sensible precaution to take in FE...?

2. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

We have UCU for FE. I'd definitely be a member of a union.

Laphroig likes this.
  3. AngelEd22

AngelEd22 New commenter

Yes you should join one so that you get the same protections as in the Secondary sector. The most popular unions for FE are ATL, NUT and NASWUT.

4. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

UCU, and you need to be in a union for the redundancy rounds. Redundancy is part and parcel of life in FE, as are no pay rises, and hanging on to students even thought they are rubbish so you can keep your job.
    UCU are quite militant and will take on anyone and even if you haven't been there long, they will stand with you. ATL,in my experience, are very passive

Urbanfaerie likes this.
  5. femathsguidebook

femathsguidebook New commenter

As a Maths teacher in FE, I would definitely recommend joining a union of some form. I am currently with UCU and they have been very helpful to me in the past about college changes. As a teacher in a compulsory subject, it is also nice to know that someone will fight your corner should you need them following accusations and investigations regarding your practice.