1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions for TA's

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by TorTakers, Apr 21, 2019.

1. TorTakers

TorTakers New commenter

Hi,

I'm an HLTA at a private primary school. Our teachers are currently battling the governor's about TPS and have got their unions involved. It's made me think that as we don't have an HR department maybe I need to look into joining a union.

Are there any that you would recommend for TA's?

Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Tortakers, you definitely need to join a union. Everyone working in a school should be a member. There are several out there, GMB and Unison probably the biggest. I don't think there's much to choose between them; I always advise people to find out which one the majority of the TAs at their school belong to and go for that. If there's a problem that affects the group, it's always easier if you are all in the same union and have the same rep.

Trekkie and TorTakers like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Just noticed that you are at a private school - I don't know if that makes any difference to which union you can join. Talk to the other TAs and contact unions to find out.

TorTakers likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

TAs in schools I know are overwhelmingly in Unison, a few in GMB. But as sunshineneeded has recommended, find out what other TAs are in and consider that union that has the majority of your school's TAs.

You said "It's made me think that as we don't have an HR department maybe I need to look into joining a union" but if I may say so one doesn't follow from the other, you seem to be suggesting that if you had an HR department you wouldn't need to join a union. Not so! Be in a union not only for when your contracts of employment are under threat but also in case safeguarding allegations are made against you.

sunshineneeded and TorTakers like this.
  5. TorTakers

TorTakers New commenter

Thank you for your suggestions, none of the other TA's are part of a union so I'd be the first.

We also have a new (first time) head who is making some decisions and acting in a way I may want to seek some clarification/support. This is another reason for joining a union.

sunshineneeded likes this.