1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions for International Teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by saladinlee, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I'm interested in teaching abroad and want to know a bit more about the union situation. I know my UK union won't cover me if I'm out of Europe and so was wondering if anyone can give me advice about what sort of support or union cover is available further afield (Thailand specifically).
    I've got some websites and information about some teaching federations and groups, but don't think they provide the same support a union might if I needed it? Although I've never had to use my union rep etc in my teaching career so far, I'd feel a bit wary teaching without it. Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. Hello all,
    I'm interested in teaching abroad and want to know a bit more about the union situation. I know my UK union won't cover me if I'm out of Europe and so was wondering if anyone can give me advice about what sort of support or union cover is available further afield (Thailand specifically).
    I've got some websites and information about some teaching federations and groups, but don't think they provide the same support a union might if I needed it? Although I've never had to use my union rep etc in my teaching career so far, I'd feel a bit wary teaching without it. Any advice?
    Thanks!

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Ha ha ha.
    Me thinks pigs are in the sky today.

4. There is the Bill of Rights for International Educators which schools can sign up to but I don't know how it works. I'd advise reading the reviews on International Schools Review to get a flavour of the school you want to work in and thus an idea of whether they are likely to stick to what they say in the contract and be reasonable people to work for. You do go out on a limb as far as support goes when you move abroad but if you do your research it is a calculated risk.

5. Even if schools did agree with the idea of staff being in unions, (none of the schools I have worked in abroad would, and in one Spanish school, it was expressly forbidden by the owner)....how would legislation be transferred to different countries?

6. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it!