1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions for HLTAs

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by gemmazoey, Aug 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. gemmazoey

gemmazoey New commenter

Hi,
    I am an HLTA but I came from teaching roles so I am a member of the NUT and because I was doing some teaching at the school to start with I just stayed with them. However, I am now only in an HLTA role and I don't know, and can't seem to find out definitively even though I've done a lot of searching online, if the NUT covers HLTAs or not. Does anyone know or know where to find out? If not, what union should I go with? I am working for an Academy and they are making some dodgy changes to my role in the school and I want to check whether it is all above board.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I am a HLTA and I am with Unison.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know the answer, sorry, but obvious solution seems to be to email NEU/NUT explain background and your current role and ask them the direct questions, (a) can HLTA be members of NEU/NUT? and (b) will NEU/NUT support you if an employment related issue arises relating to your HLTA role?

If you do ask them please post up what they say - I'm sure it will be of interest to others in your situation.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I'm a HLTA and I'm with Unison too. Are there other HLTAs at your school? If so, you might be best to join the same union as they are with - solidarity could help if you need to speak out together if there are dodgy changes.

5. holdon

holdon New commenter

6. holdon

holdon New commenter

NEU represent TA s as well as teachers. Take a look at the NEU website for details.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are moving between teaching and HLTA roles, NEU might be better than Unison so you can stick in the same union. Unions won't cover you for something arising from before you were a member.

8. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I’m HLTA and I am also in Unison. Why don’t you just ring and ask them.