1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unions call for cost of living pay increase for all teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 18, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘All teachers and school leaders should receive a "significant salary uplift" this year to ensure wages keep pace with inflation, a coalition of five education unions has said.

The Association of School and College Leaders, NAHT headteachers' union, NEU teaching union, UCAC and Voice have submitted a joint statement to the School Teachers' Review Body (STRB), which makes recommendations to the education secretary on the annual teachers' pay award.’

How do you feel about the unions’ joint statement calling for a ‘significant salary uplift’? Are you confident that a salary increase for all teachers will happen soon? Do you think the unions are doing enough to keep pressure on the government to address the issue of stagnant salaries, which have failed to keep pace with inflation? What would you like to see happen?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/unions-call-cost-living-pay-increase-all-teachers

2. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Occasional commenter

With a Conservative Education minister who is on the right of the party and believes in complete academisation, things will only get worse than worse. There's no point in even talking to arrogant people who won't listen.

slingshotsally and BetterNow like this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

This issue has really not been tackled effectively. We have ongoing industrial action that most teachers don't even realise is actually ongoing. The government feels it can cheerfully ignore teachers because we will always put the interests of the students first and not actually strike. They will give us nothing, and the current methods are not working.

The only solution I see is a complete shutdown of the education system until our demands are met. The alternative is a slow shutdown as everyone leaves. The government always tells us 'a little pain now for a long-term brighter future.' I totally agree.

4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

The Unions can demand whatever they want, but nothing will be forthcoming because teachers in general are too apathetic to take industrial action. The government know this and hold the profession in contempt. I was a teacher for more than 35 years and taught in a number of different Secondary schools so I speak as someone who knows something about this. Now that the government have changed the law regarding the percentage of members required to vote in favour of industrial action, the prospect of a strike is even more remote.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Don't hold your breath!

slingshotsally and BetterNow like this.
  6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Sadly this will always be the case. For some reason teachers rightly feel undervalued and overworked but are just not willing to do anything about it.

When I was teaching I tried to keep to the likes of ASOSA and kept being told that "'x' teacher is doing that so why aren't you?"

I think the only solution to this is that so many people leave the profession that it is unsustainable. There are already signs of this happening in some areas.

7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

It takes guts to be the one teacher who takes a stand, when all your colleagues are not. It is a real tough one...

BetterNow likes this.
  8. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Senior commenter

Guts or stupidity.

Principles don't pay the mortgage.

Which is why unions were formed in the first place.

9. PeterQuint

The unions have called for it? The money is virtually in the bank!

Personal opinion, at this stage I'd rather take better conditions and job security than more money.

If I'm constantly overworked, and end up on capability and sacked because I'm too expensive, an extra 3% doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Just my opinion.

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

And have the unions ventured how this is going to be paid for? No, of course not.

#magicmoneytree

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well alongside the NHS, lets fund it like this:

[​IMG]

12. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

It's far, far more important that we look after our nurses and police first.

13. FrankWolley

Actually any reasonably civilised society will look after their teachers as well as other areas. We have enough money to do so - just stop wasting it on PFI, Trident, Aircraft Carriers without planes & Boris' bridges etc.

14. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I'm trying to guess the next letters and words after the "fu..." on the bus!!

FrankWolley likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The job of the unions is to represent its members, not to suggest to government how it organises its finances. If I take on a solicitor or a workman to work for me I do not expect them to then suggest to me how I can organise my budget so I can pay their wages - all they're interested in is getting the money they are rightfully owed.

The government delights in the 'market' to work for the good of our society. One of the key cornerstones of a market economy is that you have to pay the going rate for employees. If an employee can get better conditions, less stress or more money elsewhere then it is their decision to go and who can blame them.

Despite the government's increasingly desperate statement that their are more teachers and nurses in our schools and hospitals since 2010, increasing numbers of excellent teachers and nurses are voting with their feet and leaving these professions. If the government wants to retain these experienced workers then it must set wages and conditions that will make these people want to stay in their jobs.

As for the magic money tree, the current government seem to be able to give it a shake to buy political support from the DUP and no doubt they'll be shaking it again to try and patch up the total shambles created by the collapse of Carillion.

16. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Occasional commenter

I agree with this, conditions and job security are why teachers are leaving. The extra 3% will have a far bigger impact in SLT decisions of who to offer "support".

slingshotsally likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

Re: the comment about numbers of nurses - this repays lookin g at:

[​IMG]

18. PeterQuint

So, keep pay and conditions the same, and the teachers will just appear from nowhere.

#magicteachertree

Seriously, if we want to have proper public services we need to be prepared to pay for them.

Other countries manage it, and as far as I'm aware none of them have a magic anything tree.

Where should the money come from? For starters, abolish MATS in their current form. Any academy in a MAT is cut loose. MATs provide individual services for each separate area which might be required, and academies only buy in what they need.

Example: currently a school with decent results overall, but maths and English consistently below par, may be forced to join a MAT and buy in ALL its services. So it's forced to pay for support in science, humanities, technology, arts, behaviour and so on, when it has no issues in any of these areas, and only English and maths are needed.

Simply change this so that academies only buy in the support they think they need, or which Ofsted flag up. And then, the DfE should simply insist the support is bought in, not which MAT it's bought from. Isn't competition to drive down costs supposed to be a good thing?

How much money is being wasted by forcing every academy in a MAT to buy support in every area when it's only needed in a few.

In addition, once a MAT has supported an academy, and it has improved in the area required, currently the academy has to stay with the MAT. It's like forcing a patient to stay in a hospital using up an expensive bed after they're better.

So, once Ofsted have returned and the grade has gone up to 'Good' or better, remove the insistence that the academy keeps paying for support it no longer needs.

There you are. A simple solution which is both sensible, logical and workable. And it'd free up millions of pounds every year. How's that for starters.

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have a horrible feeling that the fall out from Carillion is going to be large. There will be a disproportionate impact on things like teachers' salaries.

I find the "magic money tree" quite insulting really. Take a trip to the business district of London, and it will become apparent from the scale of building that there seems to be money in the economy coming from somewhere. Take a visit to many estate agents, and the scale of the money "elsewhere" will become apparent.
    Now, obviously money belonging to businesses and individuals belongs to them and cannot be just removed. However, we have a government that seems to have little sense of urgency in making hard work pay for many people or in ensuring that sufficient money "trickles down" (another insulting concept from a while back) to enable the economy to work for many people.
    Theresa May may wring her hands about the "just about managing", but what has she actually done?

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Modern surgical and medical procedures require patients to stay in hospital for shorter periods of time e.g. keyhole and day surgery, improved diagnostics and more effective medication regimes. However, the population has aged and many have numerous or more complicated illnesses so these factors should cancel each other to a certain extent. This graph shows that the number of hospital beds has basically halved in the last 30 years and we are currently seeing the results of this in the latest NHS crisis. Just pray you don't get ill!