1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by percy topliss, Apr 11, 2012.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

No, not the increasingly tenuous one between we English and our Jockanese brethren but the one which had its meeting in Torquay over the Easter weekend. I quite often read on these pages about the need for a teaching union in whichever country has slighted a teacher. Most recently in Shanghai, where things have gone ominously quiet, perhaps in answer to what has happened to Bo Xilai and his Missus in Chonquing (don't have a go at my spelling, twas always awful!) Something else which I also read often on here is about people dying to get home, I wonder, after this weekend if it will still be so? It would appear (to me) that the power of some of the delegates has gone to their head. Admittedly I am only getting my news from the Times, but the demands do seem rather silly. Refusing to teach if an inspector comes into their class? Less powers for Heads to get rid of bad teachers? I am neither a Head nor a reactionary but I am in management and like to listen to others. I do, though, think that we have to move with the times. My first teaching post was at one of the countries most vaunted public schools where I met teachers who would either inspire their students or scare them to death. I even met one brilliant man who could work out an inverted double squibble equation in his head but couldn't control a group of year 7 kids if his life depended upon it. Where, dear readers do you see the future of teaching? Militant, and on strike once a week, as has been proposed by one delegate or progressive and intuitive?
    I look forward to some intersting debate, please forgive the formatting, I am writing this on my iPad watching the straits of Mallaca flow by and awaiting the projected tsunami, go figure,, a flood and a tsunami in 6 months maybe the god of teaching is trying to shut me up?

Perce

2. v12

v12

That's easy for you to say.