1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union Question

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by laws2008, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hi

As a student, I signed up for free union membership to NASUWT in September 2009. I completed my PGCE last December and found out I was pregnant, so cancelled all union memberships as I knew I wouldn't be using them. I moved house at roughly the same time so have not recieved any correspondence.

I recieved an e-mail yesterday asking for my 2012 membership fees and saying that my 2011 are still due. I have contacted them to explain, but they haven't got back to me. Can they take the money? I haven't got a direct debit with them and cancelled last year, but I don't have the money to pay them because I don't work and have a baby.

2. Relax, your cash is safe.
    If you cancelled your membership then you have nothing to worry about. There is no way they can get into your bank account nd are most unlikely to chase further.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

They will suspend membership for those on maternity leave.... so you can reopen your membership when you return to work.