1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union membership/academy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by katherinelily, May 11, 2011.

1. If you had a post in an academy, would you bother to continue subscribing to your union? Any views? I'm just wondering as the union weren't particularly helpful in the past and given that academies do pretty much their own thing anyway it seems a waste of money. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

2. Can you afford to pay court costs legal fees etc if the unthinkable happened and you were accused of something in school?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You must be in a union.
    YOU MUST BE IN A UNION.
    Y O U M U S T B E I N A U N I O N.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. The union did nothing for me when I needed them; since they have even less clout in an academy it's reasonable (I think) to ask why [​IMG]

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

That's why.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Slips, hits and writs: teachers win £20m
    Job losses planned at half of colleges
    Recipes for tragedy
    The Issue - Union membership

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Speaking as an ex-rep who has had to support colleagues when a full-time teacher I'm personally disgusted at the lack of support by my Union and others for supply staff in the face of pay cuts, changing working conditions and diminishing work opportunities.
    However, for the legal protection alone, I'm still remaining a member, although I resent paying the full subscription.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The union is only as strong as its members, so if you aren't happy with lack of action, you should get along to local meetings and national conference.

As far as union membership in an Academy, you are likely to have more need of membership, not less!

9. Yes, I see what you mean. However, there is a fact that cannot be argued and that it is I was constrictively dismissed from my post. I knew it, and so did the union, but I still had to sort everything from resigning to a reference myself.
    From talking to friends, unions have little, if indeed any, say over what goes on in an academy - since they did nothing for me when I wasn't employed in one, I can't help but think it's going to be a waste of money to keep paying my fees if they can't/won't help.
    I take on board the point about if I was accused of something but I don't know. It just seems an awful lot of money to be paying (over the course of a teaching lifetime) for something that is extremely unlikely to happen. I'm not trying to be offensive towards Unions but I am sat here genuinely wondering what I have paid my fees for for nearly a decade to be honest.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Union membership isn't a product - like breakdown insurance.

11. Yes, but you do expect assistance if you do break down - you wouldn't pay for it if they "might" or "possibly" could help you if you broke down. I suppose I just feel let down and genuinely disillusioned by it all!