1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Union Jack!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, Apr 29, 2011.

1. For all those pedants out there! It is perfectly fine to refer to the union flag as the union jack - it is an urban myth that it is only a union jack if on a pole or a boat!

2. In fact, Jack is traditional, and Flag is the "johnny come lately" term

3. Well that's put me in my place then.

4. btw "urban myth" suggests it never was true.

5. I started this thread just for you Bauble
    x x

6. Get away.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

In the Royal Navy it is only ever referred to as the Union Jack when it is flying appropriately at sea. Otherwise it is the Union Flag.

(and we pedants prefer to capitalise Union Flag and Union Jack) [​IMG]

8. Quickly checks and is relieved to see that I stuck with capitals

9. The Flag Institute says... Jack was a word previously used to denote any flag. It also noted that "From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. In 1908 a government minister stated, in response to a Parliamentary question, that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag"
    The size and power of the Royal Navy internationally at the time could also explain why the flag was named the "Union Jack"; considering the navy was so widely utilised and renowned by the United Kingdom and colonies, it is possible that the term "Jack" occurred because of its regular use on all British ships using the "Jack Staff" (a flag pole attached to the bow of a ship). Even if the term "Union Jack" does derive from the jack flag (as perhaps seems most likely), after three centuries, it is now sanctioned by use, has appeared in official use, and remains the popular term.
    Members of the Royal Navy only refer to the flag as the Union Jack when it is flying on their ships, commonly phrased as 'at sea'. Even the same flag, before it is flying will be called the Union Flag

Just because the Navy does not use the term Union Jack on land does not mean anyone else should be banned from using the term.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A jack is strictly speaking the garment crusaders wore over their armour...usually made of linen.Because it displayed the loyalty of the follower the knights would wear them.
    The jack was there for to display the coulours and so to becoming somethijng to hang the kings colours on and so onto a falgstaff.
    i still take exemption to the union flag being called the union jack...it isnt!
    What they do need to do is make the union flag the legal flag of the UK.......its seems it was never fomally adopted as the national flag...although used as the national flag. Which is why we can treat it with such contempt as underwear etc....no other country would allow this to their national flag but the UK!

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

We pedants prefer to cite our sources when cutting and pasting from Wikipedia.
    Did anybody do this?

12. All I know is that whenever we take the yacht out for a cruise around the Med, I always have to check with Mrs.B. as to whether she's got the Jack up yet.

13. A jack is the name for any flag. Nothing wrong with a bit of Wiki to bolster an opinion.
    Officially the term Union Jack is perfectly acceptable. Officially the Union Jack is the flag of GB

14. Wikipedia is evil.

15. No. The Union Flag is its official title. In 1902 the Admiralty announced that Union Jack could also be used.

16. So officially the term Union Jack can also be used?

17. It may be used but it is not the official title....nor an urban myth.

18. It is an urban myth that you are not supposed to call it a Union Jack unless it is on a ship as that is just the choice of the Royal Navy and not the actual rules of flag etiquette.
    It is one of the official titles.

19. How can it be an urban myth when up to 1902 it was fact.