1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union guidance re supervision in changing rooms

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by JessicaRabbit1, Mar 18, 2016.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Hi there

Is there a PE teacher who could point me in the direction of advice / guidance / direction from teaching unions stipulating that children's supervision whilst in the changing rooms should be on an "in/out" basis - i.e not continuous - staff should enter and leave the changing rooms - so as to avoid possible safeguarding / child protection issues against staff members?

Thank you - hope this makes sense - please feel free to message me if this doesn't make sense, but didn't want to leave too much detail.

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

It's a sticky question. I was of the opinion that the changing rooms needed supervising but as ours were like sardine cramming I reckoned there was enough going on to give me a level of protection from accusation. It is a fact though that how do you defend yourself as a member of staff present when children are changing from an accusation of "My teacher was looking at me!"? Added to that there was an expectation that one should be on the lookout for unexplained injury - especially relating to certain known about pupils.

I have never been known as a quiet, mouse-like person, so my arrival in the changing rooms was "announced" e.g. "Right ladies are we nearly ready?" etc. I would be stationed in between the 2 (crammed) changing zones whilst I took a register. I was fortunate that in over 20+ years of PE teaching there was never any accusation. I did spot and report several non accidental injuries.....I also maintained a very professional approach with the children - I was always " the teacher" I believe that helped my situation. It was also a standing joke especially amongst my year group that I often referred to my own children. I just think that reinforced my non- threatening presence. I would also say there was very little bullying in the changing rooms

JessicaRabbit1 likes this.
  3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Thanks. My issue is that my year 5 child is having to change in a changing room with older kids (y8) that are unsupervised because staff follow this policy. There have been several incidents and he is now scared stiff of these older kids. Just wanted to gain opinions. As a primary teacher myself, I've never heard of this policy and have never left children unattended whilst changing. Safeguarding cuts both ways.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There are probably child protection/safeguarding issues with a Year 5 changing with Year 8's, particularly if he is on his own. You need to check with your school's safeguarding officer for clarification.