1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Union for support staff? Difficult situation

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Jazziepants, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Jazziepants

Jazziepants New commenter

Which union is it best to join? Having worked in a very stressful 1 to 1 role this year I let my line manager know I didn't wish to continue working with that particular child. We're talking meltdowns, running off and finding it very hard to stay on task. I'm part time and he needed full time support anyway. She was also aware of very difficult personal circumstances in my own family life so I assumed would be considerate but I found out last week I've been offered a role with a child with very similar needs who has regular meltdowns too. I've emailed to decline the offer but not sure if any alternative will be suggested. Do I have a leg to stand on? And which union to approach if I do please

2. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Sorry for your stress.---- is your contract temporary or permanent?

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi picsgirl, sorry you're finding yourself in this stressful situation. It's a tough one - SLTs will say that if you are employed as a 1-1, this is probably what you can expect. However, I think they do have to understand the stress level it puts on the adult(s) working with the child. How about asking if it would be possible for you to work with the child for half of your working hours, so that you have some respite? This could have several benefits - the child would be less dependant on one adult, and there will be more than one adult that knows the child well.
    I've been a Unison member for 30 years. Personally, I've never needed to look to them for support in a situation like this, but I've known several people who have. Results are mixed - they've offered great support in some cases and been totally useless in others. We also have GMB members at work; I think they'd say the same. I'd go with whatever union the majority of your staff are in. Best of luck.

4. Jazziepants

Thanks for these thoughts. I'm already part time. I've had other less challenging 1to1roles and don't șee why I should have this two consecutive years when others don't

5. Jazziepants

I don't actually have a contract, just a letter from the school

6. POB

POB New commenter

In our school staff are only with a challenging child for a year. This is to ensure well being of the staff and avoid the child getting too attached to the member of staff.
    This is our(fairly) new heads idea. Previous to that I worked with a challenging child who would only listen and behave for me but challenged other adults.
    Since changing to a different LSA the child is improving and beginning to listen to other adults.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

NEU has a specific support staff system. But no union will take on an ongoing problem - that's why you need membership always.

8. C49

C49 New commenter

No advice.... but just wanted to say you are not alone. I’m experiencing the same thing although I’m going into my 4th year albeit in a more part time role.

9. felterskelter

felterskelter New commenter

Thanks for these replies which I've only just seen! In the end I really did put my foot down and said I would not accept the offer (of working two years in a row with child with v challenging behaviour). Said if I wasn't given an alternative I would have to consider leaving, given my personal circumstances. I'm glad I persisted because I have a much better situation this year.

Bumptious likes this.
  10. C49

C49 New commenter

Well done

I need to find your strength!